Bring deaf — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bring deaf

oddball22
oddball22 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
I'm a 49yesr old I became feat 3years ago I was working In a brain injury unit and I was able to hear what the residents were saying and I was getting worried went to doctor ect and hot tested the results came back total deaf in left hear ànd 20& left on right hear who how. It changes your life from being so happy to bring so depressed I stared to gamble on rolate machine omg it completely changes your life now I'm all alone put I'm okay on my own just now because I'm still experiencing bring deaf I'm used to silence now but you miss speaking to people just thought I would get it out my sistuim thank for listening

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oddball22 I was exactly like you 3 years ago, i began to lose my hearing at the end of at the end of 2016 and I'm still undergoing tests to find out what can help me. I became very depressed and i also became addicted to gambling. 

Thankfully i saw the error in my ways and changed my mindset. Not being able to hear properly still makes me feel low. Mainly because others don't understand how complex my hearing is and do not adapt to it so as a result I just get ignored and treated like I'm not in the room.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Robinirish
    Robinirish Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Hello everyone I being deaf since I was a child belive me it not a nice world to be in specially when hearing people look down at u but life goes on and gambling doesn't make it go a way only cause other problems I use to have a hearing aid but that wasn't much help have a cochlear implant it better now than hearing aids life gose on but u have to fight ur corner all the way in this world rember we are better than the next person it who u are that people jug u never keep on smiling and everyone will smile with u 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oddball22 and thank you for sharing this with us all. Coming to terms with a new diagnosis can be very difficult and take time to get used to. I was just wondering, have you had any support during this time?
    Scope

• Robinirish
    Robinirish Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Not really am attending glan clwyd hospital cochlear team they check my implant every 8months but I get by with lip reading had a load if support from people who understand in them days we all looked out for each other I was hard to get work in them days specifically if u were deaf but got a job on the buildings 40 years ago wish it helped me to stand on my own feet mind u deaf people are very hard workers as they don't waste time chatting there work is a one life is difficult now says as people laugh at deaf people best thing is too laught at them some say the will have same problem for me it hard to deal with dla as had my review 4wks not sure hw that work out for never mind just have to wait and see bye to all have a great day 
  • oddball22
    oddball22 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I'm not getting any help I think I'm ready to take nervous breakdown just got my son David in bro leverandle hospital for he got susiulde thought it just so much 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oddball22, I'm sorry to hear you aren't getting any support, is your GP aware you are depressed? 
    I imagine it must be incredibly difficult to see your son like this, I hope the hospital are able to support him. Please do let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
    Scope

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Unfortunately UK audiologists are only interested in selling hearing aides, and most are not adequately trained and qualified to provide the support and understanding you require. The problem for GPs is that lack of understanding and support they are able to refer patients for especially from UK audiologists. I have a life long listening disability, my brain having problems processing what my ears hear, which currently is being ignored by the Uks incompetent audiologists, speech and language, psychologists, the support team recommended by the UK Medical Research Council. 
    Hopefully you will find some support and may be begin to educate the incompetent UK support professionals

Brightness