I had my tribunal today and I don't think it went very well — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I had my tribunal today and I don't think it went very well

Options
mmh32
mmh32 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am autistic and really struggle with social interaction. During the tribunal I was doing okay answering the questions as I was being prompted by the question. However, near the end of the tribunal the judge kept making remarks such as "you're not forgetful, you're just lazy and prefer having someone else do everything for you?". Quite frankly this made me feel like utter ****, and when she asked me shortly after whether I had anything to add, I completely froze up and became emotional. I struggled to get words out and what I did say wasn't comprehensible. I asked for a break to compose myself and the judge said no as it's almost over, and then she took my notes to be photocopied and told me it was over without giving me a chance to even attempt to add what I wanted to say.

I feel like I wasn't actually given the opportunity to add things that hadn't been asked at that point, and there was a lot of information that was missed that I wanted to add. I realise that there are time limits but I had no way of knowing the time. I was emotional as I felt like she was accusing me of lying, that I don't have these issues I'm just lazy. And then to just be kicked out and not actually given a chance to explain? The DWP representative got longer to ask questions than I did at the end. I literally don't leave the house at all because social interaction of any form causes me extreme distress but that doesn't matter because "I showed no outward signs of anxiety at the health assessment".

Based on what the judge said I'm sure that I won't receive any award and I went through this horrible experience for nothing. To be told by someone who has no idea what I'm personally going through that I'm fine and just lazy is really hurtful. I don't know what to do or how to feel. I just feel utterly defeated.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mmh32 and welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear that you don't think the tribunal went well. It sounds like it was very stressful experience and I hope you can find some time to relax this afternoon- you deserve it!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,988 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. It doesn't mean you won't be successful. They usually write to you within a couple of days with the decision so hopefully you won't be waiting much longer. Do let us know the outcome. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.