about PIP generally — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

about PIP generally

LindaButler1970
LindaButler1970 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
I have taken the plunge and applied for a PIP again having been through this once before. I am faced with so many pages to fill in that I have decided not to do it. I am mindful that there is still a 20 meter reference if you can walk this during your assessment,so whilst this is still present its not really worth it. I am able to do this but MS is with me 24/7 not just on a Monday or Thursday, who writes this ****! who makes this assessment! I suppose I am just feeling low today and things of applying for work have not happened !

Comments

• Cleverblocks
    Cleverblocks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I agree, the whole thing is very judgemental. My wife also has MS, upon reading her assessment report the assessor come to the conclusion she can walk upto 200m aided/unaided repeatedly! Looks like she will be getting enhanced rate taken off her (which she has received for 10+ years 3 of which from pip) 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LindaButler1970, thank you for sharing this us all. I believe your hesitations will be shared with other members of the community and the form itself can seem like a daunting task. If you need any support with this then please do not hesitate to ask :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It can be very stressful filling out those forms but if you want to claim a benefit then there's no other option but to fill them in an return them.

Do you have any advice agency in your area that can help with the part of the claim? This link will help you find what's available to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

PIP is not just about walking, there's 10 daily living activities too.

You say you're applying again, i'm assuming you were previously refused? Did you request the mandatory reconsideration then Tribunal with that decision? If you didn't then how long ago was the decision made? If it was withing the last 13 month then with good reason you're still within the time to request the MR.

Very often re-apply after being refused isn't the best answer because using the same evidence you previously used often sees another refusal. The MR/Tribunal route is always the best option.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LindaButler1970
    LindaButler1970 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Thanks for the feedback, I am worried out filing out the form as my handwriting is bad and my arm gets tired quickly, I might try my local MS group to see if they can offer some assistance. We shall see how it goes.....
  • stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Just had the letter saying that we have to apply for p.i.p we had a indefinite award that states it is in effect until our situation changes  in the old system ,my dear wife has NESS ,fibromyalgia,and arthritis yet we still have to reapply for pip ,the last interviews she had was farcical ,the transcript was like a novel ,I did wonder wether she was j.k Rowling ,and we went to a tribunal and won that but the D.w.p don’t like losing ....now we have the same thing again ,I hear so many horror stories I am somewhat concerned .......
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Just had the letter saying that we have to apply for p.i.p we had a indefinite award that states it is in effect until our situation changes  in the old system ,my dear wife has NESS ,fibromyalgia,and arthritis yet we still have to reapply for pip ,the last interviews she had was farcical ,the transcript was like a novel ,I did wonder wether she was j.k Rowling ,and we went to a tribunal and won that but the D.w.p don’t like losing ....now we have the same thing again ,I hear so many horror stories I am somewhat concerned .......
    Hi,

DLA no longer exists for those aged between 16-64 as it's now PIP. Unfortunately your wife will need to ring to start the PIP claim by the date stated in the letter. When she rings they will ask her some basic questions and then send out the PIP2 form. During this call she can request her DLA file to be used as evidence for the PIP claim.

This form will need to be returned within 1 month but she can ring DWP to request a further 14 day extension to return the form. Providing the form is return within that date her DLA will continue until a decision is made on the PIP.

When filling out the form she needs to put as much information as possible about how her conditions affect her. Adding a few real life examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

Most people have face to face assessments so expect one of those. Also remember that PIP is different to DLA and is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Do remember that we will always read the bad stories and very rarely the good ones. Lots of people claim PIP successfully first time without any problems at all. Those that have a decision they are happy with have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.

Some links here for you to read.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.