unsure what do next — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

unsure what do next

Options
veeleather
veeleather Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I've been disabled for over 40 years with leg and back problems had DLA with Mobility until 'PIP' that decided i was fit ( as they do ) then on appeal have lower level PIP, 

Also have been self employed leatherworker ( from home ) for many years,

Late last year i had a health crash had to stop driving reduce the work i was doing and was on a slow road to recovery,

A week last Sunday in what i can only describe and a grenade go off in my back ambulance'd to hospital and MRI'd at low and high resolutions,

It appears i have multilevel degeneration over the spine Spondylosis and osteophytes , disc protusions , Stenoisis Kyphotic and Scoliotic curvetures a nest of relating problems to the above,

Have in effect lost the use of my left leg and now need crutches certainly no way can drive now,

contacted the people who put disabled stuff in the home which is now underway,

As you can imagine as i am effectively lain up my wife is doing everything house work gardening cooking looking after me ensuring i take the vast array of tablets i need ( my head can't get round the times for all the tablets ) 

But am feeling a tad lost in what and how to do 'next' 

I am hoping anyone who also has gone through a sudden experience like this can advise or give thoughts as best to move forward

Thank you,

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @veeleather, welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us all. I imagine this can be incredibly difficult to manage. I really hope the adaptions to your house will have a positive impact on your life. I look forward to seeing you around the community :)
    Scope

• dowhatyoucant
    dowhatyoucant Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Options
    @veeleather
    I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, however, I want you to know that this does not sound like it is beyond the point of no return. The skeleton does not contort itself into these kyphotic, scoliotic or lordotic positions, the muscles do. It starts with one tendency early in life to favor a certain side (perhaps after an injury), effectively shortening muscles in one area, lengthening them in another, and one after another more compensations occur to accommodate the shifts in musculoskeletal integrity. After years or decades, you end up with conditions much like you're describing.

The reverse order of this process does not have to take as long though! It starts with learning your own anatomy, which muscles have shortened, which are too long and need to be shortened by strengthening them, and daily taking steps to rebalance the agonist and antagonist relationship between those muscles.

I would highly recommend looking into the Move U program. It was developed by physical therapists who, like me, grew tired of the medical approach to these conditions that rarely if ever educate on the role the muscles play in these postural deformities, which is like leaving out the most important piece of the puzzle! Check it out and if you have other questions, let me know! 

(no I'm not in any way affiliated with Move U!)
    Ben C.
    CSCS/CPT/SNS
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @veeleather, how are you getting on?
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @veeleather and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness