Payments while appealing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Payments while appealing

Options
Saffy
Saffy Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
Does anyone know when your DLA payments stop if your PIP claim is refused?
Also, if you appeal the decision, do you still receive any payment?
Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

DLA will stop approximately 4 weeks after the PIP decision is made. If there's no PIP award, there's no payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Saffy
    Options
    Thanks for replying.
    So I get no money even though I've appealed?

• poppy123456
    Options
    No because If there's no PIP award then there's no award for you to receive any money. Your DLA award no longer exists because you claimed PIP.

If the decision eventually changes either from the MR or Tribunal then you'll be backdated all the money from when your DLA stopped.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2019
    Options
    This is assuming you're living in the UK. N. Ireland is different.
  • Saffy
    Options
    This is assuming you're living in the UK. N. Ireland is different.
    Thank you for both posts poppy. I guessed that was probably the case but wanted to check. You can understand from that why someone who gets a lower rate than expected will decide to accept it rather than go without an award altogether while they appeal.
    The rules are so strict now I do t think I stand much chance of being awarded anything even though I get the highest rates at present for DLA. It will be very difficult to only have a state pension to live on AND pay for any transport I need. 
    For a f2f assessment it will cost around £80 in taxis but I've still got my DLA at the moment. Paying to travel to appeal I will only have my pension.
    I know I shouldn't worry but I am a natural worrier and get anxious. I just don't feel able to express myself enough at a f2f and will let myself down but don't have anyone to support me. The info I read the more I get stressed. I DO wonder if even applying for pip was a bad idea and worth all the trouble and anxiety.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As you're state pension age then this is the last time you'll be able to apply, so if you didn't apply now then you won't have another chance again as it becomes Attendance allowance now.

If you're successfully award, whether it's first time at MR or Tribunal then you'll continue to receive the payments for as long as you're entitled to them.

If you're awarded and you're not happy with the award then you can request the MR and payments of your PIP will continue while you wait. If the decision remains the same at this stage and most do then payments will continue  while you wait for the Tribunal.
  • Saffy
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you. So I'll still have some money in addition to my state pension while I await the outcome of any appeal or tribunal. But if after all these, if I still get zero award, I will only get my pension and won't be able to claim again.
    I thought you had to be 70 to get AA! I'm 66.
    At least it's reassuring to hear I'll be entitled to some amount during the MR/appeal/tribunal process. Correct me if I haven't got that right.
    Thank you very much for taking time out of your weekend to answer my queries, it's very kind and I appreciate it. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. If you're not awarded any PIP then you won't receive anything while you wait for the MR/Tribunal.

If you're awarded PIP and you disagree, if you request the MR/Tribunal then you'll receive what you've been awarded while you wait.

AA is for those aged 65 and over. PIP can't be claimed for those aged between 16-64 the only reason why you're transferring from DLA now is because you were below the required age on 8th April 2013.

If you're not awarded PIP and you decide not to request the MR/Tribunal then you won't be able to re-apply.

Also if your awarded standard mobility and decide not to request the MR for Enhanced mobility then you won't be able to claim Enhanced mobility anytime in the future.
  • Saffy
    Options
    Also if your awarded standard mobility and decide not to request the MR for Enhanced mobility then you won't be able to claim Enhanced mobility anytime in the future.
     Flag  Quote  1Insightful
    @poppy123456
    That's interesting. And disappointing!
    If I get the standard mobility I need to put that award at risk by requesting the higher award,  but if I don't request the higher mobility, then I'll never be able to claim again, and could even lose my award altogether. Sounds unfair. But saves them money!
    From what I've read there is no 'awarded for life' for pip, which I have now for DLA. Is there a set time for having to reapply for pip, like every two years? If so then I don't think they consider the effort it takes and the stress involved. I'm not sure many people would be prepared to go through the process repeatedly. Perhaps it's intended for that reason!!
    Can I just ask when I would be able to claim AA please? I was born May '53, ( just missed out on still being able to get DLA).
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The reason for that with the mobility is because you're state pension age.

You can claim AA from the age of 65 but as you've started your PIP claim now then i'd advise you to continue with this. There's no moibility part to AA.

If you're awarded successfully but it's not what you're happy with then i'd advise you to get some face to face advice before requesting the MR. No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to the award you may already have.

There was an announcement a short while ago that those of state pension age will receive an ongoing award and it applies to all new claims, i've yet to hear of anyone that's received this though. See link. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2019/may/light-touch-pip-reviews-be-rolled-out-disabled-people-pension-age

My advice right now is to concentrate on the PIP claim, attend the face to face assessment and wait for the decision. Good luck.

• Saffy
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Thanks Poppy I'll take your advice and await outcome with pip.
    I've started keeping a diary hoping they might accept that at my f2f as extra evidence of how my disability affects me on a daily basis as my advisor may well have let me down with inadequate details on my pip form
    . Just hope the assessor has had a decent breakfast and no domestic problems and no awkward claimants before my appointment.i need her in a good mood and hopefully to like me.
    Thanks once again for all your help. I'll be back!!! Lol.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Saffy. Have you got a date for your assessment yet? Best of luck with it and please do keep us updated with how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Saffy
    Options
    Not yet @Adrian_Scope thanks. I've decided to try and stop thinking about it as it's making my fibro worse with stressing and I'm maxed out on co codamol already I darent take more.
    Thanks for thinking of me. I've no idea how long it will take before I hear so just have to try and stay positive.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.