Sick note — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sick note

cleoptra12
cleoptra12 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Been given a month sick note by my doctor for a month . Went to the job center and they said I have to claim uc . I's this right 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

New claims for Income Related ESA are no longer possible. New style ESA maybe possible depending on your NI contributions from working between April 2016 and March 2018.

Claiming UC also depends on your circumstances. Living with a partner that works, savings/capitol of £16,000 and over will mean you won't be entitled to claim. If you live with a partner then you claim as a couple. A sick note from your GP doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work for UC and Job searches/work focused interviews will most likely still be needed but this will depend on your claimant commitment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @cleoptra12! I hope the advice from @poppy123456 helps, if you need anything else then please do not hesitate to ask :)
    Scope

• cleoptra12
    Why can't u claim uc if u get a disability premium
  • poppy123456
    This will be the severe disability premium. What benefits do you claim please?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Why can't u claim uc if u get a disability premium
    Hello @cleoptra12 and welcome to the community. 
    If you currently get Severe Disability Premium (SDP) you're unable to claim Universal Credit currently because they haven't decided how it should be transferred over. So people that switched to Universal Credit before they made this rule lost money because there isn't currently an equivalent on Universal Credit. 

If you do get SDP, you can still claim most legacy benefits. If you are able to answer Poppy's questions above, we could help figure out which benefit might be most applicable for your circumstances. 

I hope that helps! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cleoptra12
    OK thank you.Its just the woman at the job center said that I couldn't claim uc If I got a disability premium . I'm on job seekers and I get a top up on my jobseekers as I get standard rate pip. Not going to  claim uc as I'll only end up with 76.pounds and I'll have to go without money for 6 weeks .Which I can't do .
  • cleoptra12
    A's I get a premium off them which covers me for my rent as well and if I lose my premium I'll have to pay towards my rent as well .
  • poppy123456
    If you're claiming the severe disability premium in with your JSA because you live alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then no you won't be able to claim UC. You'll need to claim Income Related ESA.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.