Advice required — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice required

Options
teresa126
teresa126 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi, I'm 60 years old, suffer from COPD, fibrosis of the liver, depression and anxiety. I'm  currently appealing against a 'fit for work' assessment (which stopped my DLA) and was in court in May (after a years wait). The case was then adjourned as the DWP had not provided me with the relevant paperwork. In the meantime, after 4 months on UC, I've now been placed on ESA. I missed a scheduled assessment 2 weeks ago, as I was too ill to attend. This afternoon I have to go for the re-scheduled appointment. Asked my mother to ring and explain I am too unwell to attend this morning, they won't accept that and I was advised I'd be sanctioned if I did not attend.  I am at present very unwell with a severe chest infection, coughing and breathless and vomitng violently with my liver, while awaiting blood test results. My doctor came out on Friday, prescribed anti-biotics and steroids and advised complete rest. The weather is raining and its cold. Is there any authority which can be complained to about the draconian behaviour of the DWP?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

A fit for work assessment won't stop DLA because that's ESA and a different benefit.

Is the appointment today a work capability assessment? If it is then because you've already missed 1 appointment then you really do need to attend this one, if you don't attend then you could be found fit for work for failing to attend.

I would advise you to contact your GP and ask for a letter explaining why you weren't able to attend the assessment today. Once you've done that then i'd also advise you to ring UC to tell them why you can't attend the assessment today.

Any decision made on this work capability assessment will overrule the decision made by the Tribunal in May.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @teresa126, I'm really sorry I didn't spot your post yesterday. How did you get on? Were you able to make it to the assessment? Did they accept your reasons for not attending? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • teresa126
    teresa126 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hi Adrian, due to anxiety about incurring a sanction, (I have been sanctioned once before, while on the six week incomeless period on UC, this was for missing a phone call when I had no income to get my phone repaired) I had to get out of bed to attend the assessment, although I was very ill indeed.  I was taken by my son who was outraged at the entire system and the difficulties its causing for very sick people, I vomited violently in his car on the way there. The assessor had to help me walk in the room, advised me that my skin was turning yellow, which probably infers the onset of jaundice and told me to rest!! I will be making a complaint to my MP about this.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Good morning @teresa126. I'm very sorry you had to go through this when so unwell. The whole experience sounds terrible.

Good luck discussing this with your MP and please let us know how you get on with your complaint.

I hope you manage to get some rest today and if you feel any worse, it may be worth giving your doctor a call. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.