What are your favourite travel games? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your favourite travel games?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

What are your favourite travel games?

The summer holidays are fast approaching and many of us will soon be taking to our cars, trains and planes with kids demanding entertainment. I’m still a bit of a purist and try to avoid using props, so with that in mind, we’re going to put together a list of all our favourite travel games for the months ahead.

Here’s a couple to get us started:

• I’m thinking of an animal/place/thing beginning with the letter ‘?’

• 20 Questions

And a mainstay for me and my kids:

The number plate game

Best attempted when there’s a chance of seeing cars. Pick a letter or number and keep track of how many of said letter or number you can spot on all the vehicle number plates along your journey. To spice the game up: choose multiple letters or numbers, give multiple points for certain letters or numbers, or slow it down by banning certain choices.

What are your favourite travel games to play?

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    When I was younger we used to travel on motorways a lot. We'd have to spot Eddie Stobart lorries and the person who had the most by the end of the journey would win!  :D
    Scope

• GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    I sing - "The wheels on the bus go round and round", and count how many drivers who spot my stick and offer me a free ride before I say, "Thank you, but I prefer to be treated like everyone else". :D
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    When I was a child we played UNO on car trips. 

Another favorite is chess. We also have played who can read a book the longest. If you’re up for educational car games, look online and in the shops to see what you can find. One free educational game is spell x number of words in ten minutes (you need a notepad and a clock for this). Or you can always play spot the animal or tree. Make a game out of any road signs you see. 

Who does not love the numberplate game? 
    I think Amazon is good for tracking down a variety of games. 

Take a look at this link for more ideas 
    https://www.skyscanner.net/news/10-games-play-survive-boring-car-journeys
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember having a mini Connect 4 when I was wee that was good for playing my sister in the car.  I also used to enjoy naming all the cars I could see in the road - lol!  Some good games at the above link @April2018mom
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    My wife and I have a travel game .....well to be honest , it's a pre- travel game. We try to find a travel insurance that's a half decent affordable price ??
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I can definitely see the appeal of keeping the kids in that on the motorway @Hart86. If only to avoid the 'Are we nearly there yet?' questions.  >:)

I remember naming the cars as well @Ails. I think it's lot trickier these days with so many cars looking less distinctive. But I became a bit of an expert as a very bored 6-year-old.

Great link @April2018mom! Thank you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • katiesymon
    katiesymon Community member Posts: 59 Connected
    Well, we had a game of viewing cars and their passengers and assigning a story to them, such as their type of job and where they were going or what they were doing. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We also played a game counting trains. My mom also brought paper so we drew pictures. We also made up word games. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Are we there yet? whoever sees a landmark first gets the prize!
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    We used to play I spy with my little eye something beginning with...  could be anything on the road, you had to be fast sometimes.

If I was in the back sometimes me and my friends would link two Nintendo Game Boys together to play a puzzle game called Tetris. The original Game Boy itself being early nineties technology was the size of a small brick. It was great as a paper weight as well.

Brightness