Mum wants to say thank you! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mum wants to say thank you!

Dinkysaurus
Dinkysaurus Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
Hi

I am currently awaiting my MR decision.
However, my mum also was on PIP standard care. She had a re-assesment in March. My dad filled it in as no change, as we know that's not a great idea. She came back with 0 points.
So for her MR I told them what to do with all the advice from this site. Dad wrote out what they disagreed with and some examples of how it affected her. Got evidence from her GP and Dad wrote a statement as he is her main carer.
She got her decision today after 11 weeks.
She got 8 points for daily living. Therefore getting her standard rate again, and it will last until 2023. he was so happy when she called to tell me. 
Just one question. Mum is 70 years old now so what will happen in 2023 ( or I know it can be a bit before that ) does she go through this again ..she will be 74 then approx. 

Thank you 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dinkysaurus,

I'm so glad to hear your mum got the decision she had hoped for! This is great news. I hope you hear back from yours soon!

Because your mum is over the age of 65 and currently does not claim the mobility aspect of PIP, this is something she'd never be able to claim. However, she can still continue to get the daily living aspect. Unfortunately this does mean she will have another assessment in 2023. She also may be entitled to Attendance Allowance which is for people over 65 who need help at home because of an illness or disability. You could get: £57.30 a week if you need help either in the day or at night.

I hope this helps! :)
    Scope

• Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Glad she got what she deserves. At least now in future you all have an idea of what to write so hopefully it won't have to go to MR next time. 

This site is a godsend. As pathetic as it may sound I'm actually quite looking forward to getting my esa50 through the door in a few months because now I know what to write on the forum and have evidence to back it up thanks to needing to obtain my medical records for PIP - so much so that I'm hoping I don't have to go to a face to face.  

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Dinkysaurus

Just to clarify, about PIP review after state pension age.

DWP is suggesting PIP claimants over 65 and on enhanced for both components, will have light touch review every ten years.

Your mum could appeal the length of award, if she is minded.

Hope this helps.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.