Getting PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting PIP

spammi123
spammi123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. Having recently having a cancerous stage 4 bladder removal + full hystrectomy which i know have a stoma for i was told i should apply for pip as i would be out of work for 6-9 months. I have done this and had my accessor at home due to my health. I suffer really bad know with anxiety and wont leave the house ?I have to have help with eating,bathing and just getting through the day. Iv allways been a hard working,happy and confident person but this operation and the sepsis and kidney infection i got after i was discharged has took a toll on me mentaly,physicaly,emotionaly and financely broke me and im know worried i wont qualify. Any advice would be much appreciated. ?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @spammi123, hello and welcome, PIP is not about a diagnosis or illnesses or medications you are prescribed. PIP is a benefit to help you cope manage your daily life activities in relation to the PIP descriptors. If when you filled in your a self form and declared your abilities in being able or not able to do the PIP descriptors giving reasons why you can’t meet and do the descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner and at your assessment the assessor agreed with this then provided you get the corresponding points you will be awarded PIP. Phone the DWP and request a copy of your assessment report which on receiving it you can see what your award may should be but you still have to wait for the award notification letter. Keep posting and updating the community. I hope you make a full recovery.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @spammi123 and a warm welcome to the community, thank you for reaching out as it sounds like things are quite difficult for you at the moment! I hope the community will be able to provide support and guidance for the changes you have been through and will be able to help you feel more like yourself. Please do have a look around and let me know if there is anything we can do :)

In terms of PIP, like @wilko has said, it is not about diagnosis but how you are affected. About a week after the assessment you can ring up and request for a copy of the report to be sent to you. This will help you see what has been written and allow you to gauge what kind of award you may be expecting. 

How have your work been in terms of supporting you during this time off?

Hope to see you around and thanks for joining us :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.