What makes a perfect picnic? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What makes a perfect picnic?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
edited July 2019 in Coffee lounge

As part of National Picnic Month, we're thinking about what would make our perfect picnic and we'd like to hear about yours.

The average person in the UK picnics at least 3 times a year, but how often do you visit your perfect picnic spot? Picnics are one of the easier activities for my family and I to plan and put into action. We often throw a blanket down for the kids and unfold the foldable chairs only a few feet away from our local playground, bring a ball or two, some water pistols and a cooler full of sandwiches, cold pizza, chicken poppers and lots and lots of yellow and red pepper slices. 

If you were planning your perfect picnic, where would you go, who would come with you, what would you get up to and (most importantly) what would you eat?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    If my hubby and I go to the beach or for a drive out in the country then we sometimes take a picnic if the weather is nice.  We usually sit on a bench and watch the world go by while having our sandwiches, crisps, fruit and some biscuits with some juice for hubby and a flask of tea for me.  :smiley:  Then we will maybe go for a wee wander about the place, along the promenade if it is the beach and get an ice-cream.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We went for a picnic this weekend. We were at a friend’s place and she decided to have a garden picnic complete with cold drinks. We ate bread, cheese and ham. There were bowls of fruit and crisps too. 
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Stuffed chicken fillets with sage onion. And o course ur partner and a radio and blanket 
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Me, as your guest. :p
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KittyTinker
    KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    We love a picnic but I have a story about our worst ever one. We planned it very carefully taking a pop up tent to the beach so that we could eat indoors. I was meticulous about putting it up without getting any sand in and the boys were dusted off top to bottom before entering. There is nothing worse than sandy crisps, sets my teeth on edge just thinking about it. My mistake was leaving the tent flap open so that we had a view of the sea and all the happy holiday makers while we enjoyed our treats. We were invaded by a west highland white dog who ruined the whole lot.  I was furious but the owner thought it was hilarious declaring him “a cheeky chappy”. No more beach ones for us. ??⛺️
  • GettinOlde
    We planned it very carefully taking a pop up tent to the beach so that we could eat indoors.
    We were invaded by a west highland white dog who ruined the whole lot.  I was furious but the owner thought it was hilarious declaring him “a cheeky chappy”. No more beach ones for us. ??⛺️
    Simple solution - set up a bear-trap at the entrance to your tent.  o:)B)>:)
  • KittyTinker
    KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    That’s one solution but with my boys you could guarantee that would lead to a trip to the local AandE even if I put cones and lights around someone would stick a finger in “just to see” ??
  • GettinOlde
    @KittyTinker I'm sure your boys could just grin and 'bear' it. ?? ?

• GettinOlde
    Garza said:
    ... nice cake always goes down a treat
    If you had me as a picnic-guest and you bought along a 'heavy', fresh cream Vicky sponge - no one else would get a look in. ?

• April2018mom
    If I was invited to a picnic I would bring chairs for people to sit in and a picnic basket filled with delicious healthy food. I’d also bring sporting equipment if there were children coming to the picnic too. 
  • April2018mom
    And I love picnics. 
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Great ideas everyone! I certainly want to join your picnics!
    Scope

• brydiedwards
    brydiedwards Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    A perfect picnic for me would be somewhere like Hampstead Heath or Victoria Park, involving anything food with houmous, a pack of cards, and preferably a dog (although with my dog this always ends up more stressful than relaxing)
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You cannot have a picnic without wasps :D
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness