Blue badge application procedure.......and payment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge application procedure.......and payment.

Onetoofree
Onetoofree Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi all, I have recently (19th June) applied for a blue badge under the new mental health adjustments that have been made to the blue badge scheme in England. I received a phone call on Tuesday 2nd (which was much sooner than I expected) to ask me to call back and make payment. I have not received any confirmation email, letter or text message and the number I have been given to call (0151 233 2378) is not confirmed as a council contact number (although it could still be a genuine number). I really struggle with conversations on the phone and I'm concerned this may not be genuine. Do they normally just call you to ask for payment? I haven't received any reference numbers, could I make payment at a one stop shop or online? Any help would be great, as I am struggling with this process at the moment.
  On the plus side (if this is genuine) it means that the new criteria for the blue badge scheme has been implemented and people with 'hidden illnesses' can now start to apply.

Thank you for any help the community can offer

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ Onetoofree, there two ways of applying for or renewing your Blue Badge. The first is by going to the government site and filling the on line form or contact your local county council who will sent a application form to be filled in and returned with a cheque for £10 and an a up to date passport size photo of the person applying. If you go down the government on line route preprepared to upload a digital photo ect.  Your details are sent to your local issuing council who will phone you to collect payment.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Onetoofree

The changes to blue badge scheme, does not come into force until 30th August 2019.

Something seems odd, did you fill in a form and send photo.

In my area you apply for new badge, six weeks prior to expiring of old one.

I would speak direct with the blue badge team.
  • Onetoofree
    edited July 2019
    @wilko In the time I was typing this, the postman arrived with a letter from the council confirming that I have been accepted onto the blue badge scheme. I applied on 19th June and was just a bit surprised to hear back so soon after, especially due to the fact that my reasons for needing a blue badge are solely for my mental health (which is a new criteria that has been amended recently, and not officially in effect until the end of August  :# ). It appears I just need to wait for my friend to help me call the blue badge team, or go to a one stop shop (unfortunately I can't pay online) and I should get my blue badge through the post.
     I have had a lot of situations lately that have caused me not to trust government/council agencies and I guess this process had felt too smooth, and I was expecting more problems.

Thanks for your advice @wilko
  • Onetoofree
    @atlas46 That is correct, while applying online it did state that it was not coming into force until 30th August 2019. I decided to take all the relevant information, along with a letter explaining my situation, to the one stop shop. I have received a letter today to confirm that I have been accepted onto the scheme. My reasons for applying were solely based on my mental health, I was expecting the whole process to take 6-8 weeks (resulting in an answer after the 30th August) but they have processed it really quickly. 
  • atlas46
    Hi @Onetoofree

That all sounds great news for you.

Last time I renewed blue badge, I ticked box to pay £10 fee via phone call.

I thought it would help me keep track things and it did.
  • Onetoofree
    @atlas46 I supplied my phone number hoping to get text message updates, I was just so shocked to receive a phone call out of the blue before receiving any confirmation via text, email or post. It really is such great news, parking close to my destination (or just parking in general) has caused me to miss so many appointments and I'm hoping the blue badge will make things that little bit easier in future. Sounds silly, but it means so much for the council to listen and acknowledge someones difficulties for a change. I feel like a person, and look forward to gaining back some independence.  :)  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Onetoofree! I don't believe we have 'met' yet, welcome to the community :)

I hope you will be able to get this sorted once you have had support to pay over the phone. I'm so glad you've been able to access this! 

Please do let us know how you get on :)
    Scope

• Onetoofree
    @Chloe_Scope Thank you for welcoming me to the community. I will keep you all posted, I'll be calling them soon to confirm the information is correct and to make payment.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem at all! I hope you get it sorted soon :)
    Scope

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Good to hear that it's all sorted out for you.  They won't ask you for payment "up front" but will expect you to pay before issuing it to you.  It's perfectly normal for them to accept payment by phone.  As an aside my local authority charges £20...not a complaint as it's still good value at less than 2p per day.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    exdvr said:
    Good to hear that it's all sorted out for you.  They won't ask you for payment "up front" but will expect you to pay before issuing it to you.  It's perfectly normal for them to accept payment by phone.  As an aside my local authority charges £20...not a complaint as it's still good value at less than 2p per day.

If you're disabled or have a health condition that affects your mobility, you can apply for a Blue Badge. 

You can also apply for a badge if you care for a child with a health condition that affects their mobility.  

Councils can charge for a blue badge. The most you can be charged is £10.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Good. I just finished renewing my son’s one yesterday. I paid £10. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

@poppy123456    'fraid so.  Blue Badges cost £20 North of the border. So much for devolution eh?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    I live in the North too and they are £10 for me.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    Hi @poppy123456

There is a £20 charge for blue badges in Scotland.

Not sure why, it is double charge in England.
  • Onetoofree
    @exdvr Scotland (also Wales and Norther Ireland I think) has allowed people with mental health problems to access the blue badge scheme for years. England has been stuck in the dark ages, and denied access up until recently. I would happily pay £20 for a more forward thinking government like Scotland.  :D 

Brightness