ESA stopped, what other benefits am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA stopped, what other benefits am I entitled to?

rix26
rix26 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi
so I’ve just been informed that my esa income based has been stopped as I didn’t score what was needed which is a joke..
my question is am I still entitled to housing benefit claiming carers allowance, child tax credit with Dla premium and dla (my daughter)???
i don’t want to claim jsa and go into universal credit as I can just manage to live in the income I have left... 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Your first step is to request the mandatory reconsideration for the ESA decision and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this, which you should put into writing.

You won't receive any ESA while you wait for the MR decision. Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal.

If you don't claim UC then you'll be able to go back onto assessment rate for ESA once the Tribunal accept your appeal but this could be several weeks, maybe more. You'll also need sick notes from your GP dated from when you were found fit for work.

If you decide you can't last without money while you wait and you claim UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA ever.

You'll be able to continue claiming housing benefit and council tax reduction through nil income and you'll need to ask your local council for a nil income form.

I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you. This link will help find what's available to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rix26
    Thanks
    i have no intention of claiming uc, or fighting the decision, I can afford to live without the esa.. at a push.. 
    but not if I have to pay rent due to not qualifying for housing benefit now..

• rix26
    Is claiming housing benefit through a nil income form just temporary or can it be long term?? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no specific time limit to this but your local council could eventually start asking questions why you're not claiming a benefit such as ESA or UC.

Also be aware that at some point in the future you will have to transfer to UC because those old legacy benefits are ending, even though it could be a few years yet.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rix26
    Thanks so much
    i feel a bit better now I sort of got a plan.. 
    so council Monday for a nil income form ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.