Hi, my name is josh! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is josh!

Options
josh
josh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have severe dyslexia

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Josh Welcome to the community - do you want to tell us a bit more about yourself?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • tishtash
    tishtash Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @josh

I am also dyslexic, the current problem here in the UK is the lack of understanding of what are called the Cognitive Subtypes of Dyslexia.
    Dyslexia is a man made problem concerning decoding and recoding the visual notation of speech, or the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sounds of speech.
    Dyslexia is language dependent.
    There are two types of dyslexia. Acquired Dyslexia, also known as Alexia, is caused by brain injury, stroke, atrophy, etc which is concerned with those loosing or have lost the previously acquired skills to decode and recode the visual notation of speech. And Developmental Dyslexia which has a genetic causes. There are three cognitive subtypes of Developmental Dyslexia - Auditory, Visual and Attentional. Which means that an Auditory Processing Disorder, a Visual Processing Disorder, an Attention Deficit / Disorder, or any combination of these issues can cause the Dyslexic Symptom
    So those who are classified as being dyslexic need to identify the underlying cognitive / clinical / medical cause of their dyslexic symptom, so that they can fully understand the nature of their own specific disability, and the limitations it or they impose. And more importantly identify the alternative compensating skills and abilities that they will be best able to access to work around their personal limitations.
    Hopefully you have been able to identify the underlying cause of your dyslexia. 
    Auditory Processing Disorder is the cause of my dyslexia. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @josh

Good Evening it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s on here.

Please let me know if you need a hand getting around???

@steve51

• Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    Options

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community. I trust you are having a good day today

Here at scope we welcome people from all walks of life, if we can be of any assistance to you please don’t hesitate to contact us, 

please feel free to have a look around our online community, and join in, we welcome new blood and would welcome your opinion.

I am sure someone will reach out to you whom suffers or knows more about your condition

enjoy the rest of your day

@connie00   :) 

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi @josh

The main underlying cognitive cause of dyslexia is the Temporal form of Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
    APD is a listening disability, or the brain having problems processing the sounds the ears hear, which include the sound based communication system we use, speech, and any notations of speech. 
    The temporal type of APD is about having problems processing the gaps between sounds, which can include problems processing the gaps between words in rapid speech (like legal limitations described during radio adverts). Those of us who have the temporal form of APD are not cognitively able to use phonics, or process the gaps between the sounds that the letters in a word represent. We are not cognitively able to phonetically sound out new  words from the written word, text. 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @josh and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Please let us know if we can be of any help to you.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness