Esa appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa appeal

jammy0121
jammy0121 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi guys I have been fighting for a esa award and now after nearly 2 years I have been given a date for this Tuesday,but at the moment I’m having a very bad sciatica flare up I’m drugged up on morphine and bed bound there is no way I can attend what’s the best course of action?any replies much appreciated x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Have you contacted HMCTS and told them? It maybe too late for anything to be done now but you could have requested your hearing to be adjourned, even though they may have refused.

As your hearing date it Tuesday they it's quite possible it will go ahead without you. If there's anyway at all you can attend then it will be in your best interests because appearing in person gives you a 74% chance of success. Without you being there it's 5-8% chance.

Do bare in mind that they won't take into consideration any worsening of condition.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Good morning @jammy0121. I hope you manage to get in touch with HMCTS today and that they're able to help you find the best course for your tribunal. As Poppy mentioned, statistically, you're more likely to be awarded if you can manage to find a way to attend. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Exhausted53
    Exhausted53 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    The only advice is go there even if you have to crawl I am still waiting and no news yet. If you really need this then go,the worse you look the better. Explain yourself when you get there and they will understand,if you need a break then ask to stop they will stop. Just be honest and upfront and don’t embellish to much just give clear and sensible answers. Good luck I hope it all works for you. Stay positive and keep calm 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Exhausted53 and thank you for your advice :)
    Scope

• jammy0121
    jammy0121 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Thanks for the advice guys I never attended and they adjourned it stating according to the law I should be able to have a chance to attend and they are requesting a telephone hearing I don’t really under all of it though to be honest I don’t know if it’s a good thing or bad?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    A telephone hearing is definitely better than a paper based hearing but the delay maybe longer. I'd definitely take that over the other option. Good luck and hopefully you're not waiting too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.