PIP Mandatory Reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
After receiving my award letter and not agreeing with the decision, I have requested a MR. After following advice from this forum I am in the process of putting  the request in writing. However, today I have received a text from them saying that I’ve asked them to look at their decision again and I do not need to contact them again. As a guide I will hear from them in ten weeks. Has anyone else had this. I’m in the middle of ‘challenging’ the award and putting it in writing. Do I need to do this if they’ve said I don’t need to contact them?

Also, instead of starting a new thread as my questions are still regarding a MR (I hope it’s okay) I would like some more advice please if possible. I will put it in a separate post if required. 
As two of my illnesses are quite rare, when writing to give more detail to support my mr, I am thinking of saying what they are and how they affect me ie Due to my Cerebral Spinal Fluid Leak, when the fluid surrounding my brain leaks out through a puncture in my Dura, the membrane protecting my spinal cord, I experience chronic headache (brain pain)  I am unable to stay upright and have to lay flat for several hours a day, often several days in a row. It causes light and noise sensitivity so I have to lay flat in a dark, quiet room, and also severe nausea. As a result I am unable to get in the bath/shower etc....and need assistance. Also due to chronic groin, hip, leg and buttock Pain, I cannot get in the bathe or shower unaided due to the eroded TVTO shrinking and hardening which has caused it to cut through my bladder, muscles, nerves and has caused very painful scarring. Also I  often do not want to shower or bathe when I am in a episode of depression. I can’t get out of bed,....., then the fatigue..... I would just like to explain the reasons in detail as to  why I think I meet the descriptors and should be awarded more points than I have. I’m finding it really hard as my illnesses all overlap ie CSF Leak, Eroded TVTO, Bi Polar, Panic Attack’s and Anxiety, Fibromyalgia and CFS. It is so difficult to write how I meet the descriptors as all of these illnesses make it very complicated. Do I included them all and how they affect me? As my Neurosurgeon says “You’re a very complex case.” I’ve actually sent the report he wrote which included that quote as evidence!  Or, as per their text should I not bother? 
The assessor, a physiotherapist, admitted that she’d never heard of a TVTO or a CSF Leak which isn’t surprising as unless you’ve been affected by these you wouldn’t.  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Didn't you request the MR over the phone? I think i remember you saying you did. If you did then this is the reason why they've sent you that letter. This is also the reason why you shouldn't mention the MR over the phone, sending the written letter is always the best option. Regardless of this, the MR decisions mostly stay the same.

For the letter, as previously advised, you need to put the reasons why those descriptors apply to you and add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Keep it short, simple and straight to the point. Long letters will most likely not be read at all. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    Hi Poppy.
    yes I did request the mr over the phone. They haven’t sent me a lettter but a text saying that I’ve asked them to look at the decision again. They will write to me again once they’ve done this and to not contact them again unless any of the details have changed. As a rough guide this will take ten weeks. I will still send the letter. It is already drafted.
    Of course the assessor’s report was full of lies as are many. I do not agree with the award and am looking at the descriptors to see where I think the points are wrong. I could write much more detailed information in the descriptors. Is this what is classed as details changing? I did not complete my review form myself, a lady from the DWP did. I asked for a copy and there is hardly any information on it. I could do with having an opportunity to rewrite it really.

Thank you for reminding me to keep it short and simple. I was starting to waffle lol but I do want to get my point across. I think I need to start again. 

Sorry for posting twice. I’ve tried deleting one but don’t know how to. I’m having problems when I post lately. A ‘Gateway Timed Out’ immediately appears on my screen and then my post is somehow posted twice. 
  • poppy123456
    I don't know what you mean by details changing, sorry. I remember you've posted about this quite a few times and my reply is usually the same each time. Forget about the report and concentrate on everything else i've advised. I'm sorry but there's no other advice i can give. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    Yes I have posted several times asking different questions about this but I’m trying to get it right this time (hopefully)
    i don’t think I’ve been very clear and have understandably confused you. 
    The text from DWP said about not to contact them unless any details change. 

Thank you anyway for your time and advice it’s much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    The text from DWP saying not to contact them is a standard text, just like a letter and they will always say to everyone either not to contact them or there's no need to contact them. My advice to that is to completely ignore it. This is your PIP claim, not their's, you have every right to contact them as often as you want to.

Good luck.
  • sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    I should have known that by now.

Thank you 
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    When I asked for a MR they guy did it on the phone but also asked me to write in - so they seem to like both options? I am stunned the DA said there was nothing on my questionnaire about moving around and needing others to travel with me - They might not have realised I was smart enough to photocopy it before I sent it off so I know what I put! 

Good luck with it @sheZZa :)
  • sheZZa
    @pcoventry
    i always photocopy everything. That’s my evidence if I ever need it xx
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    I just sent my Pip Mr papers on Friday. When I called to DWP after my award letter, they told me that when starting Mr, you have to call so they will mark it up, but still need to send the request in writing with reasons why I am asking for the reconsideration etc. I also received a text message confirming this. Now just hoping that they would give me the needed 2 points. 
    My letter was 3 A4's, but only cause I made a Excel table with quotes from my assessment report and next to it my corrections. I am so sceptical about what the people working at DWP do when they go through these letters, so I decided to make my letter so clear that a child would understand what has gone wrong. Though I'm still prepared to go to the tribunal, if needed.
    Atos assessors are supposed to estimate how my condition affects my daily life, but still decided that my hand is miraculously cured (nerve damage and OA) because I was seen unzipping and zipping my jacket in arrival and after my assessment. So yep.. Based on 15-20seconds of activity, I am never having issues... Aaaaalrighty then hahah! 
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • sheZZa
    @Crumbled72
    I’m still waiting for the date and time of my appeal. I was expecting it any time now but think it will be longer now because of f the Coronavirus. I know that it will be at Reading.
    Good luck with your MR. 
  • Crumbled72
    Crumbled72 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    sheZZa said:
    @Crumbled72
    I’m still waiting for the date and time of my appeal. I was expecting it any time now but think it will be longer now because of f the Coronavirus. I know that it will be at Reading.
    Good luck with your MR. 
    Thanks xx.. Good luck with your tribunal... ??
    All you need is L❤️VE ..and oxygen ?
  • sheZZa
    @Username_removed
    how would I know if I was having a paper hearing? I’m assuming I’m attending a hearing as I know it’s going to be at Reading.
  • sheZZa
    @Username_removed
    i haven’t been able to provide any more evidence and was hoping to have my say at a oral hearing. Looks as though I’m not going to win my appeal!
  • sheZZa
    @Username_removed
     A very nice chap from the CAB helped me to complete the form. He seemed very knowledgable and said that he had a family member who he’d supported during their appeal and was successful. So fingers crossed then. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.