Esa work related — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa work related

deborah644981
deborah644981 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi i am wondering if anyone can help my son was transferd from incapasity benefot to esa work related contribution based although he had never worked..he has been on contribution based for at least 6 years in wrag group but have received a letter saying he may be entitled to esa income based ..im puzzled as he has never been placed in support group or ever been asked to a back to work interview because of his mental health history..could it be that he may have been placed in the wrong group and why he has received this letter..he was in receipt of dla lower care but now receives pip enhanced..sorry for the long post but i dont undrrstand any of this

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If he's definitely in the WRAG not support Group then he won't be claiming Contributions based ESA. Contributions based ESA is only paid for 1 year in the WRAG. Once you get to 1 year you're assessed for Income Related and then it transfers to this, if you're entitled to it.

If he's in the Support Group then Contributions based is paid for as long as you remain in the group.

All those that transferred from IB to ESA are being contacted, whether they're entitled to backdated money or not. Lots have been entitled but there's also some that haven't been entitled.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • deborah644981
    Hi poppy thankyou for your reply..my son has deff been receiving contribution based esa since changing from incapasity benefit i have letters stateing this from 2013 to date..this is why i am confused
  • deborah644981
    They also state wrag group
  • poppy123456
    Benefit letters like the ones from ESA are very confusing and WRAG is definitely only paid for 1 year on Contributions based. Rules for this changed i believe in 2012. WRAG is approximately £102 per week, is this the amount that he receives?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • deborah644981
    He now receives £112 a week
  • poppy123456
    That's not WRAG amount. Best thing you can do is fill in the form and return it. DWP will asses him for any underpayments. If he's entitled to anything then he'll receive the money he's owed. Decision waiting times are 12-20 weeks, possibly longer.
  • deborah644981
    Ok thanks for your help poppy ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.