Blue badge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge

christinac
christinac Community member Posts: 1 Listener
i am a 73years old female I’m retired ,I have arthritis and find it hard walking about I don’t get benifits can I get a blue badge ,just to help me when I go shopping thank you Christina 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you don't receive a qualifying benefit then you will need to have a look what the criteria is for your local council.

There's nothing stopping you applying but you'll need evidence to support your claim and you'll need to attend an assessment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    My aunt got one, been wondering how. She has no walking problems. 
    Thought it Was just on her age of 90 
    Solihull council
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @christinac and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the advice given will answer your question. Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• Daniel
    Daniel Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    I'm 63 retired through ill health and have 'qualified' for a blue badge, this being the 2nd 'term', i.e. on to the second three year-allowance. Being granted this has transformed my life so much, I suffer from spinal problems, often spasms and frequent flare ups, have osteoarthritis in most joints following the injuries sustained in a car crash and now have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. 
    Now I can travel to appointments etc in my own time, do not have to depend on others, as I don't always know until the actual time whether I will be well enough to travel or not even up to the time of leaving. I only have to 'put myself out' now, if I suddenly cannot go etc  I am so unreliable through ill health only now no one else that matters needs to know.
    I cannot get out of the car unless there is plenty of room to open the door right back, I get stuck, which is quite frightening, being able to use the wider bays has really helped my situation. (Yesterday in a row of blue badge bays, the car owner next to where I had parked selfishly parked his car  over the yellow hatches between our 2 cars and when I got back I could not get into my driver's seat, it brought so many memories back of struggling without the blue badge!
    I would advise anyone to apply for a blue badge who feels they are going to benefit from using it.

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m 22 years old and we have a Blue Badge. My almost 3 year old son was eligible so we applied last fall. It is very handy especially at night if we are at a pub or cinema etc. Even at hospitals it has saved me time over the past nine months. I don’t remember having one when I was a child however. 

Brightness