ESA home visit...why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA home visit...why?

Options
Quinty
Quinty Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
I am bipolar 1 suffer agrophobia and high anxiety. Firstly I got a letter asking me to go to an appt the next day...and explained my situation. I have to see my Doctor next week for a letter from her tpexplaining why a home visit us preferential. I have never had to have one of these my Dictor and Psychiatric Cinsultants letters fully explain my condition. However p, the form asked me if I was receiving any treatment for other problems, So I made a note of my athritus and walking can hurt as it's in and around the ankle. I also had a torn retina which I'm getting treatment for. I didn't copy the form and there wasnt anyone to help me fill it out. The reason why I cannot work is my mental health and nothing else. The rest is due to getting older. I feel once any physical problem is mentioned they will overlook my mental health. I'm very anxious and worried. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting the home assessment. Do be aware that you can only cancel an appointment once.

Lots of people claim ESA for mental health reasons but we just rarely hear the good stories. Hopefully everything will work out ok and a decision will go in your favour. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Quinty
    Options
    I find it odd that I cant mention my eye retina tear and athritus why does this go against us? I just dont get it Poppy x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sorry but i'm not understanding what you mean by this? what makes you think it goes against you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As a community champion here on scope, it makes things a lot easier to give advice if you keep to the same thread rather than asking questions about the same thing on different threads. It's very confusing. Here's a link to your other thread about ESA.

• Quinty
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. I'm going through bad anxiety at the moment I'm all over the place x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Quinty said:
    I find it odd that I cant mention my eye retina tear and athritus why does this go against us? I just dont get it Poppy x
    Hello @Quinty, it isn't having arthritis and the retina tear that goes against you. Poppy was explaining that if you go to appointments for these outside of the house, it can go against your request for a home visit for your assessment as they will ask why you can attend these appointments but not your assessment. 
    I hope your request for a home appointment goes well. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Quinty
    Options
    Thank you Adrian and Poppy,  I spoke to my Doctor about this today and it appears the ESA assessors have no qualifications or certified medical professionals this we know. They will single out people with mental illness I have seen this with friends from MIND. My Doctor has reiterated my illness and asked for a home visit she emailed it 2 days ago, I will chase it up tomorrow as they will have no excuse to say they never received it,. So as yet I've no home visit appt. My Doctor also attached my medical history. What more can she do? It is an enormous worry.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Unfortunately it's just a waiting game now. Make sure you chase it up, but hopefully they'll listen to your doctor and grant a home visit. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.