PIP mobility component — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP mobility component

jackfrost9214
jackfrost9214 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I received my decision today. Previously I had a lower award on DLA for getting around, now however I haven't been awarded anything from PIP. I do realise PIP has different descriptors.

I'm bi polar, suffer from anxiety, anger issues and have symptoms of agoraphobia. Had a home assessment and explained on a good day I can drive to shop 400yds away or drive to my daughters house 4 miles away. Most days I can't and for long periods I can't leave my home due to anxiety and long periods of depression. I explained some days I get ready to go to the same shop but can't cross the front door due to anxiety. He asked me on the day when I last went to the shop and I said 6 days ago and when unable to go outmy daughter visits everday at teatime. I also explained I don't go anywhere other than the shop or my daughters without her being with me, this includes doctors and even barbers. My daughter collects my prescription and if she can't come over on any day i'll either not eat, call a delivery or in longer periods have Tesco deliver a shopping. I no longer go anywhere alone, i've upset people with angry outbursts and i've been seriously assaulted three times in the past 10 years which has made me fearful of situations whilst alone.

I'm really confused, I've been slighly manic but depressed since Feb of this year and I think i've made a pigs ear of my application. I couldn't reach out for help to eg Citizens Advice when the form required filling out, I was too depressed, too confused and the anxiety was too much for me to sit in front of any advisor trying to help me so the timing has been rotten.

Shouldn't I meet the requirements for being unable to follow an unfamiliar route without my daughters assistance. What's really confusing me, just can't solve in my head ... I don't want to go anywhere unfamiliar, I go as i've said to the shop and my daughters only, i'm at home all day most days for minimum 22hrs, everything else needed day to day I get delivered in some way and don't need to go out. 

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jackfrost9214 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. Have you received a copy of your assessment report?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • jackfrost9214
    jackfrost9214 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, thanks. I'll send for his report on Monday.

Was having a look at the recent guidelines post the court case which the DWP lost around mental health. From what I can make out 10 points should be awarded if a person can only travel on an unplanned route with another person providing passive assistance. The assessor asked on the Thursday when I last went to the shop in my car 400 yards down the road to which I replied last Saturday and since then i've been unable to go due to variable levels of anxiety with it's ohysical and mental symptoms. I explained this is the only shop I go to, sime days i'll get ready and at the front door I can't proceed, other times if the shop's busy i'll turn round and come back home. Clearly these trips are very rare, my daughter will shop for me most days or i'll get a delivery from the superstore.
    I said once in a blue moon i'll drive to my daughters, an 8 mile round trip but mostly she'll ci0ome to my home, drivemy car to her home and drive me back as it gives my car a run. I told him and he acknowledged that apart from those two rare instances i'm stuck at home, my daughter going with me to doctors and hospital as well as to the barbers. I choose not to go out but I believe the guidelines are clear in so far as this doesn't matter, it's based on my ability to go out should I choose. They know i've been assaulted in three occassions, my doctor and consultant confirmed this to be true, I don't have the confidence to travel alone down to fear and the possibility I upset someone again with angy outbursts. The thought of it has my stomach churning, my chest tightening and my breathing shortening sitting on the sofa. 

I'll have a help from my daughter next week, must admit i'm having a job making sense of it all. If anything I thought i'd be more likely to get support for traveling than daily living but I do needhelp with indoors too particularly when depressed. Being manic and wanting to do things is even more shocking these days when I can't cross the front door. I told the assessor at such times I look at ebay and other online shopping sites, unable to buy anything, over and over and over, the same items obsessed and I can't shut myself down. DWP letter says .... 'you like to read'.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hello @jackfrost9214 and welcome to the community! I'm sorry your award has changed when going from DLA and PIP.

I'm going to tag in @poppy123456 and @ilovecats in the hope that one of them may be able to explain the mobility descriptors a little more for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To score points for anxiety for following and planning a journey in descriptors B,D,E and F then overwhelming psychological distress must be present. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#mobility-activities

As you've been refused any award then you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Send any relevant evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Do be aware that DLA is different to PIP. PIP is about how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thank you for clarifying @poppy123456!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thank you @ilovecats. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.