GP charging £90 for medical reports!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GP charging £90 for medical reports!!

Options
birderzee
birderzee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello everyone .
In order to preempt the DWP, I recently requested from my GP all records, diagnosis, hospital letters etc to support my PIP claim. I was told this would cost 90pound! Is this right? I thought I read somewhere the charge would.be £50 max
Thank you.

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

These records are now free.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Free or not, what have you done with all the medical letters you have been sent after each hospital visits.??? I keep mine in a folder for each ailments anyway the full report is will be full of medical terms only those in the know will understand HPs.. 
  • birderzee
    birderzee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Haha. I'm doing this on behalf of my brother. He doesn't keep anything much to my annoyance. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Why not?? I have kept virtually all of my son’s paperwork in a heavy folder. 
    How is he going to prove he does qualify? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If it's paper copies he's requested then yes they charge for every sheet you receive. Digital copies are free to receive, i just received all of my medical records. I also keep all of my past appointment letters from Consultants in a file, this way i know exactly where to find them when i need them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @birderzee.
    It may be worth you requesting the free digital copy for your brother, that way you can sort through, find what is relevant and print those out. The printing costs would be a lot less and you'll have the digital copy for future reference. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Options
    I never sent anything from my GP, I just sent all my hospital consultants letters and the PIP assessor was happy with those.
    Also sent one of my repeat prescriptions for all my meds. 
    Much easier and less hassle that way. 

• KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Options
    My partner does what Wilko does, she keeps all my hospital consultants letters in a big folder, that way I always have the last years worth to send off !!
    Plus they all have the phone numbers and names of various hospitals and the people I see. 

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    I do the big folders too. I proved that id had miscarriages and the years I had them after the head doctor said i hadnt  RED FACE silly doctor
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Options
    I got mine all free for my pip all u need is print offs 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    at my GP you can get free access via online access, but obviously for paper copies would need to print them out.

So my advice to reduce costs.

Ask hospital to put you on file as wanting copies of all correspondence, this means whenever letters get sent to your GP, you get a copy, this can be invaluable for evidence.  Sometimes I have been diagnosed but not told directly as they feel its not important to tell me however do tell my GP, but then I find it useful for things like ESA assessments.

FOI might be a way of getting for the fixed FOI fee.

Also see if your GP allows online access, for me was free.  But I did have to go in face to face to get password and for ID checks.

When my GP provided evidence for PIP she did it free of charge out of kindness.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.