The (lcwra) element of universal credit. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The (lcwra) element of universal credit.

liam120318
liam120318 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi can someone who nos this system better than me please help me! I have been claiming universal credit since 6th February sickness part. I recently just passed my medical for (lcwra) (last month)now I do understand that you must wait 12weeks from you present them with medical evidence before they can backdate eny money that may be due. Now the part I am unsure about is what do they mean 12weeks from your medical pass?or 12weeks from your claim started? As I waited over 4months for my medical to take place it does say that if you wait more than 12weeks for your medical assessment they will backdate that also. For some reason I haven't had this money this month and the medical took place within last months assessment period so why have I not had the months bacdated money? Or will it be a simple case of haveing to wait the 12 weeks from medical pass before I get the backdated payment. Be really helpful if someone can explain this to me as I'm not good at explaining myself or takein  information in unless it's really quite simple put. Sorry and thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's a 3 month waiting period and the LCWRA element is paid from the 4th month from when you sent in your first fit note. If the decision was definitely LCWRA and not LCW then you should be owed 1 month backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited July 2019
    Hello @liam120318 and welcome to the community. :)

I'm glad Poppy has been able to answer this for you but if you do have any other questions or there's anything you don't understand, then please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • liam120318
    Yes thanks for that poppy123456! Really helpful. How ever I just read over the letter an it is lcw I have been awarded so what doe this mean as to the waiting 12weeks will I still get the 1months back dated? And when will I get this? After the 3weeks? I'm still really unfamiliar with this whole thing! Thanks very much uz r so kind and helpfull. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi again @liam120318. Unfortunately there isn’t any extra money awarded for LCW, but it exempts you from work search and entitles you to a work allowance if you do go in to employment.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • liam120318
    A great! Not even the months backdated as they took over 12weeks to medically assess me?  Thanks for that, what's a work allowance? Does this mean I can work and get payed,and also get universal credit? Do they pay your houseing costs in with this or is it just a set amount of extra £ up until u are reassessed? Also was going to ask yourself too,if you don't mind,can I appeal this as all this (April 2017) carry on,if you were not assessed b4 this time you get no extra money ect:- I have been claming esa for a good number of years and I was assessed many years ago but there was a few breaks in claims. However due to this is it worth an appeal? Be greatful if u can give me your opinion on this. I'm going to put in for pip as at the moment I'm only getting £230 per month there are talking money back for advance (which I don't mind) as I opted in for this however, they are also taking back another £47! This is called a penalty? Can I have this reduced do you no by calling the debt team? As I think this is a really low income to survive on per month I really do find it hard to get by month to month! I'm a little bit lucky compared to certain others as I do have a family who always help me out,when I need it.so feel for people who maybe don't have this! It would be really kind if you can help me with these questions thanks again
  • poppy123456
    What was the reason you claimed UC as you say you were previously claiming ESA? were you found fit for work for ESA? What do you mean there was a few breaks in your claims? More information is needed to be able to help you further.

The housing element of UC is only paid to you if you need help to pay your rent. What is your housing situation? Do you live with parents? or a partner? Difficult to advise without more information.

There is a work allowance yes but how much this will be will depend on your circumstances.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • liam120318
    No the reason for break in esa was splitting up with partner. me and my partner did have a joint claim for esa however she got prison so i had to make a separate claim for uc we do normally live together but she is inside at present. We live in a 2bed flat rented from the council. 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2019
    Who was the main claimant for the ESA? I'm assuming it was your partner and you were added to their claim?

If the ESA was in your name, how long after your partner when into prison did you claim UC?

Is your rent being paid straight to your landlord from your UC?

Do you have any dependent children that you claim child benefit for?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.