P I p — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

P I p

gailty
gailty Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been turned down again for p I p again I have c.o.p.d and also recently been diagnosed with cancer of the blood I received the letter back yesterday and they havnt even wrote in half the things I said about my mobility and daily living please help I just don't know what to do anymore 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @gailty and welcome to the community. :)
    Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration of the decision? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gailty
    How do I do that please 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You say you've been refused again, did you request the MR then Tribunal if that failed the last time you were refused? If you didn't was there any reason you didn't do that?

To constantly re-apply using the same evidence will likely see you being refused all the time.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gailty
    I feel like giving up on life I feel they don't seem to listen to what u tell them they never seem to write what u tell them sorry for bothering you
  • poppy123456
    You're not a bother, we are here to advise. Did you take the previous decision to a Tribunal?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gailty
    I have to request a mandatory reconsiderat ion first but i don't know how to do that 
  • gailty
    Do I put it in writing or ring them up 
  • bluebob
    bluebob Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi .If you ring pip and tell them you want a mandatory  reconsideration they will look into your case again and if that fails you go to a tribunal 
  • gailty
    Thank you for your help
  • poppy123456
    You need to put that request in writing, don't just ring them to request it. You have 1 month from the date of the decision.

When writing the letter you need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Send any relevant evidence to support your claim with the letter because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

This link will help you find what's local to you for face to face advice.

• pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I rang them and they started it over the phone - I also then sent the form by post 
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hey there, 

Sounds to me like they've disregarded evidence rather than having the same evidence over and over. 

Don't give up hope! I know that's easier to say than do but many many PIP claim decisions ARE changed. Its not a perfect system.

Sounds like you've done awesome in giving them a call and getting the form back. 

Have you got a copy of how you filled in the PIP form? 

If you can, something I've found really helped was to type out the form. When I last did it a year ago you couldn't fill in form online but you can send typed up version of it now. This means you can go back and edit it, send it to a friend to check for example. 

My PIP saga went on for 18 months but I DID get it sorted similar with ESA and life is much better and worth all the anxiety, tears and stress. 

I'm so sorry you're another victim of this **** storm of the current system. I think you're doing the right things:coming on here for moral support and info, doing what you need to do then try and forget about it and do other things. 

And if you need more support the Scope helpline is fantastic. They really helped me turn my benefits around. Or if you need talking support I had counseling through my GP which really helped. You will also be under a lot of stress with your diagnosis and just living with it all is hard work. 

But you can live your best life ? and it will get better. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @gailty,
    To echo Poppy, please make your request in writing. It's a really good idea as well to prepare for the likelihood of a tribunal as most MRs aren't successful. If it does go to tribunal and you're able to attend, over 70% of these are successful. It would be worth your time getting some face-to-face help appealing as they can help explain the descriptors to you properly.

If you need any additional help with them, we have some information about Mandatory Reconsiderations here. I understand the whole process can be very taxing on your mental health, so it might be worth taking a look at some of MIND's resources if it starts to get you down. If it ever feels like things are becoming too much, you can always get in touch with Samaritans.

Let us know how this goes and please get in touch if you need any extra help.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.