Rainie123 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rainie123

Rainie123
Rainie123 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi all I have been on universal credits since March... When I went for my appointment I told them I was in the process of claiming  carers allowance... I thought it wouldn't affect my universal credits. Anyway I eventually received carers allowance back dated from March 2 weeks ago.. Now uc have sent me a note on my journal to ask if I'm getting CA... Just wandering will they take the back payment from me? And if so will it be in one lump sum... I just new it was to good to be true

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid when claiming carers allowance and another benefit like UC then the carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.

You need to make sure they are adding the carers element to your monthly payments. If they're not then you need to report a change on your journal, they will then add this element, it's £160 per month.

As you received the backdated carers allowance then they will deducted the carers element from this amount and you will then have an overpayment for the difference. You won't have to pay this back in one lump sum, it will be taken from your monthly UC amounts, so your monthly payments will be reduced further until the overpayment is paid back.

You will receive the carers allowance paid separately to the UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rainie123
    Thank you poppy.. That explains the under payment for this month.. Gosh it's so stressful.. How can I find out if they have added the £160 element... Sorry its all new to me... X
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hello @Rainie123. I’ve found an example statement to show you, obviously yours will be different depending on your circumstances but if you have the carer element it will be visible on your statement breakdown like this:

I hope that helps!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Rainie123
    Brilliant thank you Adrian great help.. X
  • Adrian_Scope
    You're very welcome. :) 

When they start taking back amounts from you the overpayment, you can request for these to be lowered by calling the debt management number. I'm led to believe they are usually very helpful. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Rainie123
    I might have to do that because when i first claimed I had an advanced payment so they take money for that also overpayment of tax credits and now this... Although I'm very grateful it does make  think about how people cope... Thanks again.. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you live in Scotland the only advantage to claiming carers allowance if you're claiming UC is the Class 1 NI that's paid with carers allowance. You can claim the carers element of UC without needing to claim the carers allowance.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rainie123
    Thanks for your feed back.. Surely they knew my circumstances when I first claimed.. Why don't they tell you this... Xxx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Rainie123 said:
    I might have to do that because when i first claimed I had an advanced payment so they take money for that also overpayment of tax credits and now this... Although I'm very grateful it does make  think about how people cope... Thanks again.. 
    There is a maximum they can take a month for overpayments and advance which is 40% of your standard allowance.
    The advance can’t be lowered but it can be deferred for up to 3 months if you’re struggling and the overpayments can be negotiated and lowered. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Rainie123
    Thanks I'm really glad I joined scope today been so helpful.. Lowered my anxiety levels.. ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Really nice to hear and I'm glad we've been able to help. I hope to see you around the community @Rainie123. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.