Limited time for free parking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Limited time for free parking

Options
veriterc
veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
edited July 2019 in Transport and travel

A friend has just phoned for advice:  he shops at Marks and Spencer (food, etc) and finds they only allow a limited time of free parking (I think about an hour).  He and his wife have limited mobility, so find an hour is not long enough to get out of car park, shuffle around the store, then queue to pay.  He is taking this up with management, but does anyone know whom he should approach? 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, a lot of car parked owned by super markets retail parks are monitored by CCTV operated by private companies using number plate recognition software where you number plate is scanned on entering the car park and again on leaving. My local hospital uses this but on entering your number plate Registraion number on screens around the hospital the parking is free. But at our regional hospital you have to pay on exit or prepay and enter your car registration number at the meter when you buy your ticket. Having a word with the store manager is first port of call and maybe a written request offering your car details if needed or requested to be allowed or offered an extended parking time. Let the community know how you get on.
  • GalDriver
    GalDriver Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Options
    Good luck veriterc, let us know how you get on.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck. Let us know what happens next. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello

What about finding a new store to shop at? 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @ veriterc, as I posted on this thread before a lot of carparks are monitored by private company's using CCTC and are under contract to issue tickets over stay parkers. I wonder if the bigger supermarkets using these contractors could have a registration scheme for Blue badge holders where you registered your badge along side your registration number or two car numbers display your badge and no charge is made for an over stay. My local hospital has free parking you just have to log in each visit regardless of badge holder or not my regional hospital you registrar your badge and two cars for all day free parking doesn't gauretee you a parking space as a badge holder or not. 

Brightness