PIP Mandatory Reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration

Options
sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
I am trying to write a letter for my MR. I have four conditions which impact my mobility and daily living. If one doesn’t another will on a daily basis. Sometimes all four will affect me. I have many descriptors that I want to challenge but can you out to much if you’re describing how four disabilities affect you?. It’s so hard and I’m trying to keep calm.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,289 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Just be straight to the point, without going round in circles if you know what i mean. May i ask if you're receiving help with this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @poppy123456
    I’m trying to be straight to the point but it just doesn’t seem to be working. My disabilities overlap one another and most of them affect me on a daily basis. If one does, another doesn’t but then again they all can. I have six descriptors that I’m not happy with which seems a lot. I’m unhappy with a few others but I can’t challenge any more. It just reads as though it isn’t true if you understand what I mean? I did have a benefits officer from my housing association come and help me a week ago but I’m not happy with the descriptors he corrected. I was having a good day and I felt he was judging me so I’m now trying to do it myself. It hasn’t helped that the lady from the DWP who assisted me to fill out the review form was no use at all. I’d  already completed it but I knew I hadn’t put enough information and I put No Change on several of the descriptors. I had a serious meltdown. The DWP lady just copied my form. It wasn’t completed with enough detail which I didn’t realise. I was unwell and naive at the time. After I have sent the mr form off I am going to complain to the DWP and ATOS. 
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @poppy123456
    I have at least 8 descriptors that I want to challenge but the HA chap said that 5 was enough. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Now i'm totally confused. First you're saying that there's at least 6 descriptors that you're not happy with seems alot. Then you say there's at least 8 that you want to challenge but you were advised 5 was enough.

You either fit the descriptors or you don't. If you do fit them then you challenge them, if you don't then you don't challenge them.

No one on an internet forum can advise you what to do or what to write because no one knows how your conditions affect you. The only person that knows that is yourself. I'm not sure what other advice you want, other than what's already been given.

As you've already requested the MR over the phone and you still haven't sent in the letter then a decision could be made before they receive the letter, even though most MR decisions remain the same.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @poppy123456
    I've confused myself.
    I’ve just written out the descriptors that I want to challenge and there are 9. Yes I was advised that 5 is enough. I am going to contact CAB tomorrow for advice but I’m not sure whether or not I’ll get to see someone before 26 August which is when my mr needs to be returned as there are quite long waiting lists here. I sent my mr letter on Wednesday. 
    Thank you for the link and your help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Are you sure your MR needs to be returned by 26th August? :o Then you say you've already sent the letter?
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @poppy123456
    I’ve sent the letter requesting a mr as I’d only done it over phone which is the letter I thought you were talking about. I’ve made a mistake with the return due date and the mr should br in by 23 July not August. I’m thinking of not bothering now as it’s to stressful and undoing any progress that I have made with mt mental. health. I do not see my mental health nurse until mid September as they’re on holiday until then. They ,might have been able to assist me in this matter but it will be to late by then. The award I have is only until Nov 2021 which means this process will start all over again next November. I know one thing’sfor sureand that is that I’m not going to go through this again.
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @ilovecats
    I scored on all descriptors when I first applied for pip and was awarded enhanced for both. My then assessor was lovely. When the lady from the DWP came to help me complete the review form as I was not mentally able to do so, we should have discussed each descriptor before she wrote anything on the form. She should not have just copied practically word for word what I had written. Had I thought I’d filled the review in properly I wouldn’t has asked for help. I had not filled the form in correctly which is what I’m trying to amend now with this mr but it’s like writing the whole form out. I just haven’t got the energy or incentive to do it any more. To think my job before I lost it was to support people to complete forms, apply for funding etc and now I can’t support myself? I feel totally and utterly useless 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @sheZZa. Sadly I think many people feel this way and give up before appealing. It's completely your choice, but if you feel you meet the descriptors and should have been awarded, I'd encourage you to fight for it. 

If CAB don't have any appointments in time you could check here to see if there is anywhere else local to you that may be able to help you: https://advicelocal.uk/

Community Manager
    Scope
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    thank you for your reply. It’s more the thought of going through it again in 18 months time. I really need to ask for nearly every descriptor to be reconsidered which seems to many but..... had the form been filled in correctly in the first place I probably wouldn’t need to ask for so many to be reconsidered now. I have been to the CAB today and have an appointment with a benefits officer next Wednesday. My form needs to be in by Fri 26/7 and they know it’s urgent so have thankfully squeezed me in. I should have time to post it and for it to get there on time. Fingers crossed.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Be honest. Give examples of situations when your disability affects you. 

I used this tool to write our PIP letter. https://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal
  • sheZZa
    Options
    @April2018mom
    I have been honest. It’s just when you’re asking so much to be reconsidered it just doesn’t seem true. My health is so complex even my consultants say so. 
    Thanks for the link. More bedtime reading lol x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.