Trying to understand something — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to understand something

DollyTheDog
DollyTheDog Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, was wondering if someone could help me with some information. I recently won my PIP Tribunal on the 9th of July after the claim began on the 20th of October 2017. My welfare rights officer tells me I have been awarded the standard rate in both of the categories but she doesn't agree with it but nevertheless is a result. I doubt we can fight it any further plus I'm frightened to because of how long this has gone on and how ill it has made me. 

This brings me onto the main bit. I was told I would now be able to claim a severe premium for ESA because I live alone and nobody is caring for me. What I would like to know is can I call them on Monday and claim it or do I need to wait until the DWP contact me saying they've accepted my PIP tribunal decision. I called them a few days after I won the tribunal and they told me that they had received the information. Can I claim the severe premium now or do I have to wait as I'm not sure and forgot to ask my welfare rights officer like an idiot and now I'm embarrassed to call her on Monday and ask. 

Also one last thing please, is it true that all the time between my claim beginning and now they will backdate all the money and pay it all to me? Including the premium from the beginning of my ESA claim date? 

Thank you so much for reading, if you can help I would appreciate it because I'm lost lol.

-Dolly

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,324 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Great news on the Tribunal.

If you're claiming Income Related ESA then yes you'll be able to claim the SDP because of the daily living award of PIP. If you're claiming New style ESA then you won't be able to claim it.

You'll need to wait for DWP to accept the decision and put your award into payment before you can claim it. This can take 8 weeks.

If you do claim Income Related ESA then once the PIP award is in payment then ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. The SDP will be backdated to the start of your PIP award, if all the other criteria applied at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @DollyTheDog!

Well done on winning your PIP tribunal, really great news you've finally been awarded what you're owed.

I hope Poppy has answered all of your questions. I just wanted to add: Please don't ever feel embarrassed to call your welfare rights officer, they really won't mind! 

Hope to see you around the community. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.