HEALTH AND MENTAL WELLBEING — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HEALTH AND MENTAL WELLBEING

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one .  I do get asked about the coloration between diet and the mental health wellbeing.

It is one of my interests and know that the relationship between my mental health and my body are in harmony.

We have all of us have bacteria in our digestive systems the right balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria.

Many foods we eat have antibacterial properties that prevent many issues with our digestion.

The problems can arise from bad choices and decisions we can make by eating the wrong foods.

Those who suffer like I do with anxiety know about the problems that can arise and effect the stomach and related the bowels.

Become stressed, anxious effecting your mental wellbeing.

Issues such as IBS as those who have this complaint know finding the right balance is never easy.

I started using the Meditterean Diet based on whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruit and vegetables plus olive oil. 

Because knew medication may not be the answer has to be other alternatives.

We see the supplements in the chemists, the stores are these beneficial to your health. In many instances no. Because they are selling a product and the only thing that you lose is your money.

Some may not contain the requirement you need.

I would always advise make a diary of any symptoms or problems you have.   Consult your GP.

I have a list of foods that are beneficial in my opinion and I eat all the time to help my mental wellbeing. As well as sleep and have days to relax and try not get stressed.

Prebiotic means will help good bacteria in your digestive system.  To grow.

Apples, Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Oats such as Porridge.

Fibre we all need fibre to help the digestive system and bowels.  We do not eat enough.

Wholegrains, like Pasta and bread or Rice.  Fruit , Berries such as Cherries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Pears.

Peas and Beans, Carrots, Potatoes, Porridge Oats.

Probiotic Foods these include Yoghurt that has added strains of bacteria .  To help digestion .

I hope that answers any thing.  Help those to understand themselves their bodies any issues.

I do get asked the odd question and am very happy to help.  I am aware every one is different.

I would always stress please seek help and advice if you have any digestion problems or have any issues.  Speak to a GP.

Who will refer you to dietician.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for this @thespiceman!  Very interesting!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great idea @thespiceman. We have a range of dietary requirements in our house, so it's always hard to find that balance. Thank you! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every one .  I do get asked about the coloration between diet and the mental health wellbeing.

It is one of my interests and know that the relationship between my mental health and my body are in harmony.

We have all of us have bacteria in our digestive systems the right balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria.

Many foods we eat have antibacterial properties that prevent many issues with our digestion.

The problems can arise from bad choices and decisions we can make by eating the wrong foods.

Those who suffer like I do with anxiety know about the problems that can arise and effect the stomach and related the bowels.

Become stressed, anxious effecting your mental wellbeing.

Issues such as IBS as those who have this complaint know finding the right balance is never easy.

I started using the Meditterean Diet based on whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes, fruit and vegetables plus olive oil. 

Because knew medication may not be the answer has to be other alternatives.

We see the supplements in the chemists, the stores are these beneficial to your health. In many instances no. Because they are selling a product and the only thing that you lose is your money.

Some may not contain the requirement you need.

I would always advise make a diary of any symptoms or problems you have.   Consult your GP.

I have a list of foods that are beneficial in my opinion and I eat all the time to help my mental wellbeing. As well as sleep and have days to relax and try not get stressed.

Prebiotic means will help good bacteria in your digestive system.  To grow.

Apples, Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Oats such as Porridge.

Fibre we all need fibre to help the digestive system and bowels.  We do not eat enough.

Wholegrains, like Pasta and bread or Rice.  Fruit , Berries such as Cherries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Pears.

Peas and Beans, Carrots, Potatoes, Porridge Oats.

Probiotic Foods these include Yoghurt that has added strains of bacteria .  To help digestion .

I hope that answers any thing.  Help those to understand themselves their bodies any issues.

I do get asked the odd question and am very happy to help.  I am aware every one is different.

I would always stress please seek help and advice if you have any digestion problems or have any issues.  Speak to a GP.

Who will refer you to dietician.

@thespiceman

As a wheelchair user and a woman who has always had a weight problem, I recenlty got a free 12 week course with Slimming World. I am unable to get weighed, so had to go on how my clothes fit.  I found it easy to follow, especially with my carers making my meals. But the weight loss has been so slow. Having said that even 1/2 lb a week is 20 lbs a year. I need to lose a few stones. Keep trying.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    This is great information @thespiceman.  Thanks for sharing.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness