ESA Overpayment Under Caution Interview — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Overpayment Under Caution Interview

Options
lpg
lpg Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hello. 

I am long term Mental health and receiving ESA income related. I'm in the support group.

I went to an interview at the jobcentre with my social worker, for some permitted work I did in 2016. The permitted work case is now closed, as it was all fine, but now my saving is £12k, over £6k. They told me they need my bank statements cause I was in an overpayment. I provided all the bank statements since 2014. 

Now I am waiting for a decision letter? How long will that take? Can they ask for an under caution interview?

Thanks
Lpg

Comments

• lpg
    Options
    Hello. 

I am long term Mental health and receiving ESA income related. I'm in the support group. I have arm £12k savings.  Have provided to the jobcentre all my bank statements since 2014.

I want to know how long is the decision letter to arrive? Will I have to attend an under caution interview?

Thanks
    Lpg

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    Not quite sure if you are saying that they have already told you that you have been overpaid or if you just suspect this is the case?  However, our experience was that they had been provided with all the necessary information, twice over a couple of years...then they suddenly noticed that they had been overpaying (which we were not aware of)  However because we had a solid paper trail that proved we had supplied all the necessary information they admitted fault and so no caution or repayment was required.  Maybe we were lucky but I'd always urge people to make sure they have copies of everything they send to bodies like DWP etc, with dates and notes of any conversations.  Send things by signed for post if possible.  Shouldn't have to be this way, but unfortunately it often is..
  • lpg
    Options
    Well, I went to an interview at the jobcentre with my social worker, for some permitted work I did in 2016. The permitted work case is now closed, as it was all fine, but now my saving is £12k, over £6k. They told me they need my bank statements cause I was in an overpayment. I provided all the bank statements. Now I am waiting for a decision letter? How long will that take? Can they ask for an under caution interview?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Are you saying you didn't report the changes to your circumstances with the savings over £6,000? If so then i'm afraid you've have to wait for the decision to be made. Any overpayment will need to be repaid back. For every £1,000 over £6,000 then it's a £4 deduction in your ESA. This means that £12,000 will be £24 per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,

Are you saying you didn't report the changes to your circumstances with the savings over £6,000? If so then i'm afraid you've have to wait for the decision to be made. Any overpayment will need to be repaid back. For every £1,000 over £6,000 then it's a £4 deduction in your ESA. This means that £12,000 will be £24 per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lpg
    Options
    Thanks for your comments.
    I had calculated that number as well.
    My worries are about under caution interview.

• poppy123456
    Options
    All you can you really do it wait to hear from them.
  • lpg
    Options
    Alright! Thanks so much
    Very stressing situation.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @lpg and welcome to the community. :)

I'm glad the permitted work interview was easily resolved. Fingers crossed for a speedy decision on the savings and over-payment, it must be very stressful waiting to hear. 
    Let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lpg
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for your answers...
    Is there any way I can contact DWP for an advance result of assessments? Or should I contact the jobcentre advisor who I reported savings? I suppose the best is waiting... 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's ESA you need to ring not your local Job Centre. The number is Telephone: 0800 169 0310
  • lpg
    Options
    I call ESA and they say they have not yet received any of the bank statements I reported to the jobcentre,
    What should I do?
    Im calling ESA to report overpayment, but lines are busy.

• poppy123456
    Options
    I'm not sure why you reported this to your local job centre, it's DWP you need to ring. Lines are often very busy and it can take quite some time for them to answer the phone, sometimes as long as 1 hour but it's a free phone number. My advice is to ring again and stay on hold, someone will eventually answer.

How long have you have savings of more the £6,000?
  • lpg
    Options
    I think since 2016
  • poppy123456
    Options
    My advice is to ring ESA and keep on hold until someone answers. There's no charge because it's a free number.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You said this " but now my saving is £12k, over £6k". Does this mean you have £12,000 or £18,000?
  • lpg
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.