yet more unfairness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

yet more unfairness

davet
davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
it never fails to stagger me the unfairness of this benefit system, following a stroke some years ago I received ESA and DLA, this was changed to PIP and I initially received full mobility which was reduced to the middle mobility after an assesment and tribunal, whilst this annoyed me initially,mainly due to the comments made by the DWP, such as I am able to walk from my front door to a waiting taxi e.t.c, I decided to live with itas I didnt have the heart and energy left to dispute a tribunal decision, and I wasnt sure how to in any case. I came to understand that the DWP 's main aim is to reduce any payments as much as they can, so I left it alone, however yet another instance has arisen which I find totally unfair. Many years ago I paid into a private company pension, and at the age of 55 I decided to take this pension, initially when I started with itthe projections showed that I would get a monthly payment of around of approx £1700 per month, but due to mismanagement the fund was decimated and the payment is now just over £100 per month. this payment increases every year buy a few pounds and I am obliged to advise the DWP of any increase, by sending them a copy of my letter of intended increase in order for them to reduce my benefits by the increased amount, which they tend to do instantly. however this time, not only did I send them my pension increase letter, I sent them copies of letters from my gas and electric suppliers which showed their intended increase, stating that if my benefits were to be decreased by £4.00 per month due to a pension increase, is it not right and fair that they should increase due to the increase of my services, granted they did write back but their response was full of so much babble explaining why it doesnt work like that it was almost unreadable, I am all for fairness and can understand that if you are allowed a certain amount it is only fair that if you are able to secure monies from elsewhere it is only fair that that your benefits are reduced, but what I find disgusting is that according to this letter, the amount I am entitled to live on is calculated by MP's who are paid an obscene salary to start with which they can top up with expenses, which often total more than their actual salary, I have posted this more of a moan than an actual question ( I just needed to get it off my chest with like minded people) and I do not honestly expect a response

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @davet I'm really sorry to hear this, it sounds very stressful! When are you due a PIP review? I really hope they manage to sort it soon!
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @davet, your opening a can of trouble here, there are many who have worked all their lives paid their NI and taxes took out endowment insurance private pensions hoping for a good retirement. Then along comes our illnesses, disability and we have to claim benefits, yes we have paid in through our NI and Taxes did without paying into the private pension did without holidays abroad new cars ect, now we are penalised because we have been savvy, sensible with our money then and now. Seems, feels unfair but that the way it pans out the worst you are money wise the more help you get no encouragement to provide for the future old age retirement where will it end?...
  • davet
    Hi Chloe
    I wasnt aware that PIP claims were subject to review other than by assessments, in which case I am not realy sure,however following a recent emergency admission to hospital, I have been diagnosed with emphysema, and have today written to DWP asking them to review my motability award. although I do not hold much hope I was in all honesty simply having a moan about the principle of it all and the rotten way in which this country is run, I lost most of my private pension when the government refused to investigate the mis management of my pension fund, I suffered my stroke due to NHS negligence yet the law prevents me from suing them, now I have overpaid criminals telling me how much I need to live on who are able to access free money when they need a moat cleaning by putting it down as expenses
  • davet
    Hi Wilco
    too true, should maybe have lived a george best lifestyle, spend most of your money on alcohol, fast cars and women then simply waste the rest
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @davet, a PIP award is given for a number of years and then reviewed, this will depend on the person and the level of disability - this should be on your award letter.

When you have written to the DWP it sounds like you have put in a form for change of circumstances. I'm sorry to hear you ended up in hospital, this must have been so scary! Please be aware that PIP is not about any diagnosis that you have, rather the affect this has on your daily life and mobility. Has your mobility deteriorate since your last PIP assessment?

I'm so sorry to hear about your pension, unfortunately this is not something I know much about, but you're right, it doesn't seem very fair at all!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.