What qualities do you look for in a friend? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What qualities do you look for in a friend?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I'd say it's important that the person is honest and trust worthy. 
I like to be able to have a individual connection with people on a personal level so they understand you and that it's ok to openly tell them that you're having a bad day without feeling as though you're being judged.
To me the age, gender, sexual preference, religion, beliefs etc do not matter to me I respect them and will not judge even if I don't agree or share the same view. I see everyone is an equal. No one is better than any other human being. 

Comments

• humble_rumble
    humble_rumble Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    I'd also say being honest and trustworthy is a must. I also like to make friends with funny people, people who can make me feel better even if I feel bad. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tammyjane33   Thank you for this. Having got rid of the former friend who did not in my opinion ever was.

Start with trust. Thinks like you . Care and concern for you and others. Not being self centred.

Have no need to use and abuse you.  Honesty.  Expects respect, consideration.

Not be too critical or opinionated . Some one I can talk to and listen to me or me listen to them.

Look past my faults.  See the person not the disability.  

As long they do not hurt me.  Does not matter from where they have come from or age, disability, ethnic, religion, plus gender.

My best friends are women .  Have been and still are.

Of course humour. Like myself amuse others when it is needed not be insensitive.

Use humour when it is appropriate not be crass.

Be supportive of others.  Who have problems and issues. Have a heart.

Give them hope and inspiration with words and kindness.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman,Tammeyjane33,  Friends are few and far between, and many who we thought where friends are not. The true friends are the people you can trust come what may, honest reliable who won’t and don’t talk behind your back. A fellow employee informed me in confidence that he was leaving when our employer was informed and that I knew he didn’t like it and found it had to accept it but some of his so say friends told me things about my employer which they shouldn’t have, not friends keep your friends close and enjoy the trust and friendship you give and provide to each other, better to have fewer trusted friends than a lot of gossiping folk who think their your friends.

Brightness