Where to buy adaptive technology in UK - computer peripherals — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where to buy adaptive technology in UK - computer peripherals

Geoark
Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
I would like to purchase an Infographic's left hand bat keyboard. I can source one from the US but would prefer to purchase in the UK.

The picture below is the right hand version.

Image result for bat one handed keyboard uk

As an individual I stood alone.
As a member of a group I did things.
As part of a community I helped to create change!

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Geoark. I’ve not had much luck finding this myself. I’ve contacted the manufacturer though and hope to have some info soon. Will let you know what I find out.

Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Geoark
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope

Having spent a good 50 years touch typing and having to retrain my fingers to get the right keys previously, I have been struggling with the little finger on my right hand. Often resulting in a lot of frustration and some quirky things happening. They wont do anything about it at the moment as they cannot identify where the problem is and if it gets worse I am really going to struggle with it. Plus as I learned last time they don't operate to 'fix it' but to stop it getting worse. Trying to type with one or two fingers just slows me right down for some reason.

I don't think I will ever match my typing speed with one of these, as it can be one key press or 4, but hopefully with practice and use can get a reasonable speed and accuracy. Then if things do get worse at least I will be able to continue working.

• Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Geoark,
    Unfortunately it seems as if the manufacturer is no longer in business, but one of their partners is still handling fulfilment. They don’t have a list of stockists, but as you found yourself, you can still source directly from the US.
    Besides this, I’ve not been able to find anything. Perhaps @Andy_Assistive might be able to advise on an alternative?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Andy_Scope
    Andy_Scope Scope Posts: 47 Courageous
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Geoark
    I found it https://www.infogrip.com/bat-keyboard.html in the USA we are doing some digging to see what we can find in UK or europe as an alternative.
    Andy
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks @Andy_Assistive, looking forward to what you may come up with. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Geoark
    @Adrian_Scope and @Andy_Assistive

Thank you for looking for me. I look forward to seeing what you find Andy. 

A bit concerning that the company itself is no longer in business. I guess I could get a couple spare while they still seem to be available, but it does seem like a limited life time solution now.

• Ryan_Scope
    Ryan_Scope Scope Posts: 14 Courageous
    Hello @Geoark,

I have done some research into the BAT Keyboard and i have found the sole InfoGrip European approved re seller of the keyboard. The company is HandiCom and they are based in the Netherlands. The item is 525 Euros excluding VAT and Delivery. You can place an order via phone. fax or email, and you should then be able to pay via Credit Card or Debit card via an online transaction. Here is the link for the contact page in English http://www.handicom.nl/en/contact.html and this is the page for the BAT Keyboard http://www.handicom.nl/en/products/BAT.html. They sell both the Left and Right Hand versions of the keyboard. 

If you require anything else then please don contact me. 

Regards, 
    Ryan Kennedy
  • Ryan_Scope
    Ryan_Scope Scope Posts: 14 Courageous
    Hello @Geoark,

I can also confirm that the Manufacture of the BAT Keyboard is InfoGrip and they are currently operating in the USA. The item is cheaper with them and they ship international also. The link to there page is https://www.infogrip.com/bat-keyboard.html.

Regards,
    Ryan Kennedy 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks @Ryan_Assistive. Brilliant that you've found something more local!

@Geoark I contacted Infogrip myself and received a response on their behalf from their partner Boundless Assistive Technology, saying: 'Infogrip is no longer in business'. I'm not sure whether the item is still in production anywhere, so can't advise whether your idea of getting multiple is a worthwhile solution but there does seem to be a bit of a dearth of viable alternatives.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Geoark
    Thank you @Ryan_Assistive.

Looks like I will be getting it from the US then. £140 v £400+ is a huge difference. Plus the connection is wrong for a laptop.

I have emailed Boundless Assistive Technology to confirm what connections they have, but sure when I found this and was looking into it they had USB connector.

• Geoark
    Hi @Adrian_Scope, had a look at their website, and they let you get an estimate on tax and deliver which came up as £0, so works for me. 

One of my earliest mentors in the late 70's was a Wing Commander in the RAF and I remembered he was testing something very similar. I have to admit when I  started looking I really thought there would be a range of alternatives. The only real alternative I found was something that goes over your fingers and uses blue tooth to connect. But this seems to be in its early stages and the review highlighted a few drawbacks. 

As I mentioned to Ryan I have emailed the company to check what connection the ones they have and if it will be plug and play or if a driver is needed. As long as I'm happy with the answers I will probably order one this weekend. If I do I will let you know how I get on with it.

Brightness