DLA TO PIP - NEW TEN YEAR REVIEW — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA TO PIP - NEW TEN YEAR REVIEW

Options
SeanyKate
SeanyKate Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all,  Apologies in advance for all the questions. I am a healthcare professional in Scotland and have been trying to find out this information for a long period of time. I have a degenerative nerve and muscle wasting medical condition which causes me pain, balance and mobility issues. I am still currently on an indefinate award of dla on the full mobility and care component, I have a blue badge for driving/parking. Does anyone have any information regarding the waiting times for indefinate awards from dla to pip, and in reading some article on 'Ten year pip reviews for people with most severe health conditions' , would i still have to be reassessed in person from dla to pip, and if so do I base my answers on good days or bad days in living with this nerve and muscle wasting medical conditon, as it depends day to day how I am affected with pain/balance/mobility? Hope someone can help? Best wishes, SeanyKate. :)

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@SeanyKate, Hello and welcome, you need to disclose what your most average days are like regarding your ability to preform the PIP descriptiors reliably, safely, repeatably and in a timely manner in relation to your health conditions disability ect over a 12 month period. Remember the criteria for DLA is different to the PIP criteria which are fucused on your ability to do, PIP descriptiors. Have you been invited to claim PIP if not and your DLA is still ongoing for a year or so wait till invited or near your DLA award ends in a few months before contacting DWP for information on what to do. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome

When you are "invited"  to claim PIP you will need to be assessed with regard to the PIP descriptors. When you start the process you should be asked if you want your DLA award taken into consideration, which may help.
    When you fill in the form, be honest and give 2-3 examples of what happens when you attempt each descriptor.
    The descriptors are fairly rigid, don't try and make the descriptors fit your condition, your condition must meet the descriptors
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Options
    I was on indefinate DLA as well. I found the PIP assessment quite easy and straight forward, and the assessor really helpful.
    On the back of my assessment report she's recommended that I don't have any more reviews or assessments due to my many chronic conditions. I suppose this must be the same as the old indefinate awards.
    I just put all my illnesses on the PIP form and then backed it all up with consultants letters and medication repeat prescriptions.
    That seemed to work well and she didn't need to check anything with my GP or doctors. 
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Options
    I told them about good and bad days, and how all my medications affected me, both on their own and all together.
    We also spoke about the operations I've had and how they affect my bones and movement, both on good and bad days. 
    The best thing to do is be totally open and honest and back everything up with paperwork. 
  • SeanyKate
    SeanyKate Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks to you all for taking time to respond. Best wishes, Seanykate :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.