new to everything ? pip appointee help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new to everything ? pip appointee help

Options
mumofthetwins
mumofthetwins Community member Posts: 41 Connected
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Hi Guys

I am new here and new to the whole benefits system and even the "official"  ASD world .. bit back story ..

after 2 years we have been given the ASD diagnosis for my son, he is 16 and doesn't speak to anyone he doesnt know as he has extreme social problems as well as other problems. He has been like this for as long as I can remember but it wasnt until he came to the point of thinking about post school options that I persued an official diagnosis. My friend mentioned PIP to me so I decided to call and enquire about it for him, I have been made an appointee and have submitted the form for him. on a side note I felt so guilty filling the form in as really I should have thought more about how this has affected his daily living and the struggles that hes had :( .. but back to questions .. we sent the forms back a week ago and I understand that I am able to attend the appointment with him but getting him in there is going to be difficult enough and I know theres no way he will speak to anyone as normally he wont even make eye contact ?

am I able to speak for him and any advice at all about the whole process as I am totally clueless .. im guessing its like getting the diagnosis as that took forever.

Thanks for any advice

Lisa

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What about asking for a home assessment and explain how your son is with strangers?
    Good luck.
    Just got my application form today.
    Nervous! Been on DLA 19 years! x
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Guys

I am new here and new to the whole benefits system and even the "official"  ASD world .. bit back story ..

after 2 years we have been given the ASD diagnosis for my son, he is 16 and doesn't speak to anyone he doesnt know as he has extreme social problems as well as other problems. He has been like this for as long as I can remember but it wasnt until he came to the point of thinking about post school options that I persued an official diagnosis. My friend mentioned PIP to me so I decided to call and enquire about it for him, I have been made an appointee and have submitted the form for him. on a side note I felt so guilty filling the form in as really I should have thought more about how this has affected his daily living and the struggles that hes had :( .. but back to questions .. we sent the forms back a week ago and I understand that I am able to attend the appointment with him but getting him in there is going to be difficult enough and I know theres no way he will speak to anyone as normally he wont even make eye contact ?

am I able to speak for him and any advice at all about the whole process as I am totally clueless .. im guessing its like getting the diagnosis as that took forever.

Thanks for any advice

Lisa

You could approach his GP in the interim, and ask for a letter of support for a home assessment or a paper based assessment, depending on what he feels your son is capable of,  then if and when you receive an appointment letter you can call as his appointee and request HA or PB assessment and arrange to send a copy of GP supporting letter to them. 

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• mumofthetwins
    Options
    Hi thanks guys ... it's good to know I can speak for him. 
    I have put copies from his diagnostic report in and other reports that we have been given along the way .. our GP is pants so most of the info is in these reports as it's the team we were referred to. 
    I never even considered a home visit. 
    I'm so pants at all this and I'm sure I've probably filled the forms in wrong but we just answered truthfully and like I say added in the reports x 
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Thanks hun ... it's just really nerve wracking ... and it was hard filling in some of the questions as he's only 16 so doesn't really have bills and monthly outgoings ?? But I'm guessing this can be expanded on in the assessment ... Just got to wait for the appointment to come through now... 
    You guys seem really nice and knowledgeable ... Thanks for the help x
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Ah I see .. Thanks yeah that makes more sense ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.