Mobility Scooters — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility Scooters

cresta
cresta Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Can anyone advise me on the solid tyres on Scooters as in do you feel every bump and is is better to have the tyres with inner tubes. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I recently had the tyres of my powerchair changed to pneumatic ones, in the hope of a softer ride. I do feel the vibrations and  bumps of roads hurt my lower back.

I used to ride a scooter several years ago and the solid tyres were fine. But my condition has progressed, therefore the need for different tyres now.

I guess it`s a case of try it first and then if you are experiencing a lot of pain, change to pneumatic.
  • cresta
    cresta Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou so much for your help. I do suffer severe back pain and arthritis in my knee's shoulders and neck so your advice has been really helpfull.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    cresta said:
    Thankyou so much for your help. I do suffer severe back pain and arthritis in my knee's shoulders and neck so your advice has been really helpfull.
    Hi @cresta, I have only just recently purchased my first scooter. It's a Kymco Maxi xls, with inflatable tyres. The suspension system on it is very good which reduces a bumpy ride depending on the conditions of pavements etc. Whilst I was waiting for the delivery of this scooter, the company lent me a solid-tyre model by a different maker and it was noticeably more bumpy and shaky... I don't know for certain, but you should be able to 'test drive' a few models yourself before committing to purchase, depending where you purchase it? 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    My chair is from wheelchair services. they changed the tyres for me.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @cresta and @Roddy,

My scooter is a Kymco Mini Comfort LS which has all-round suspension and solid tyres. The ride is very good except on cobbles, but then if it wasn't for the suspension I would have been shaken to bits last week in Durham.  Definitely go for one with suspension.

.  So therefore I'm quite happy with the solids but try to avoid the cobbles!!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The cobblestone old roads are not nice I have been down to St Ives on a boot scooter no suspension not nice but lovely scenery.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Does anybody know how to make the motor go faster? Mine does 8mph but a bit faster would be a definite bonus if it can be done?
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Mine is a class 2 which is limited to 4mph.  I wish it had more power, not necessarily more speed.  Is that possible?. I don't know.

By UK law class 3 scooters can only do 8mph maximum on roads and must be switchable to 4mph on footpaths.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you looked at the Motability site? There is a good amount of information on there. Alternatively contact NHS wheelchair services for help and support too. My advice is to ask questions and test out a few models before making a decision. Read reviews as well.  Pay attention to your gut feeling. 

Brightness