What do Changing Places mean to you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do Changing Places mean to you?

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,971 Scope online community team
Thousands of disabled people cannot use your standard accessible toilet. They're often far too small to accommodate more than one person and it's rare to see one with the necessary hoists and equipment included. If you need the support of vital equipment or multiple carers to go to the toilet, an accessible toilet simply isn't good enough.

The introduction of Changing Places has meant that many areas are now equipped with safe, hygienic facilities that disabled people can use, but there still aren't enough of them and Changing Places Awareness Day aims to change that.

Today, if you hadn't guessed it, is Changing Places Awareness Day, a day designed to raise awareness of the necessity of Changing Places and how they affect disabled people's lives. 

What has your experience with Changing Places been? Are you aware of any in your local area? Has their introduction improved your standard of living?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    The need for more Public Toilets in general affects most people of all abilities. Many have either fallen into disrepair or are being left unmanaged. I can imagine that most Councils would consider more Public Toilets being an expense that they can do without, and are the last things on their mind. Just like many things which disabled people are having to do without, suitable & appropriate toilet facilities can be added to the list... Most supermarkets have been quick to establish the need and have installed these facilities, but this is about it... There is also the additional problem, that unless a person is in receipt of the higher rate of PIP for example, then many disabled toilet's are not available for use, despite the  need... I cannot see an 'Awareness Day' making any real difference in the foreseeable future. As with like most issues of importance, it will probably be swept under the carpet. That's what I think, anyway.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I first heard about Changing Places toilets about 5 years ago. I have used them in Halifax, Leeds, Blackpool and Huddersfield. They are brilliant. So many disabled people are missing out if they dont know where to find them.
    Their numbers are growing and if you google the subject, you`ll see a map of them.

Without these wonderful facilities, it means disabled people either;
    1. dont leave home
    2.have to be changed on dirty loo floors
    3.go home wet and sore
    4.can not use more than 1 carer in regular disabled loos

I educated our Social Services about as they hadn`t heard of them. Unbelievable.
  • Rhona
    Rhona Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    Options
    Although I have only recently started needing changing places toilets due to my progressive disability, I have been very grateful for disabled toilet facilities. I am fairly aware of the few changing places near me in Leicester but I am still nervous of going out. However, as had already been mentioned, lists can be found online. I think the best reason for an awareness day is to show that these facilities are vitally necessary. I am grateful for the ones in Leicester but am disappointed that they have short opening times so I can't do anything that ends late. I'm also disappointed that one of the very useful ones is in a shopping centre but it's not clearly labelled and therefore hard to find if you bother to look as it's not even labelled along with the other facilities there.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We love CP toilets. To me they are a safe dignified place where I can independently change my son whilst upholding his right to privacy. I cannot believe social services don’t know much about them. We definitely also need to start a national campaign to have such toilets properly installed all over the country. 

Brightness