Changing from pip to dla — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing from pip to dla

carolesteve
carolesteve Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi, my son has been asked to change over from Pip to Dla. He had a stroke 8 year's ago and suffers with crohns also. He can't cope with any pressure and says he will take his own life if he is made to go to an assessment for pip. His doctor wrote to the ida after being invited for a home assessment. They wrote back saying they need more medical evidence,  doctor wrote back again stating about pressure cognitive problem's and his daily symptoms of crohns etc. We also jncluded a stroke physio report who sees him regularly at home and an upcoming referral letter to see a neuro psychologist. They have ignored all this and say that he still needs a f2f assessment at home. Help please I rang ida to say he might take his own life. Also sent copies of gp letter's to dwp. Am beside ourselves as they are making him so stressed regarding this and am literally really worried that he will commit suicide over this. His go is aware of this but they won't take any notice. Have been advised to become his appointee, how long does that take and will they wait for this before assessment or will he have to make a new claim. Need some advise please 

Comments

• buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    @carolesteve, sorry to hear about your and your son’s current situation.

From my own experience it took 7 weeks to get fully onto the DWP system despite the visiting officer giving me my official BF56 appointee form on the day. The claim still went ahead during this process, albeit difficult initially until it was on system, I can now act and speak on behalf of my OH.

Along with every effort thus far to get IDA to listen or take note of the GP's letters, or take note of your requests regarding assessment please do use this link and make contact via email with your MP to help you. https://www.theyworkforyou.com/ You can find their email, include your telephone number and name and address in your email so they can clarify you are a constituent and contact you easily. I had similar frustrations of them not reading the evidence provided at the outset and the MP's office was able to intervene very quickly.

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• carolesteve
    Hi buzzer 
    Have tried emailing mp to no avail, will try and ring the office and make an appointment to see him and try and get him on board. 
    Many thanks for your reply 
    Kind regards 
  • carolesteve
    Thank you for your reply. Don't want to put my son's life in danger. His GP has written two letter's stating he can't cope with the pressure of a f2f and stating how his complex medical issues affect him, surely that should be enough .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, it's not always enough. If you haven't sent enough evidence to prove those descriptors apply, or the evidence you sent contradicts something then this will be the reason a face to face is needed.

As my daughters appointee she had a face to face assessment the first time i applied, even though i did send medical evidence that proved beyond doubt that the activities and descriptors that applied to her. Thankfully, it was done at home and i was able to answer all questions on her behalf. With the exception of a few simple questions at the end.

A GP will very rarely know how a condition affect someone against the PIP descriptors. Usually they will only know the basics.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carolesteve
    These answer's give me no reassurance really. We feel like he is being discrinated against.. We live in a rural community and his gp knows him very well and has seen him at some of his lowest point's of his illnesses. The fact that he could take his own life under the pressure he is being put under doesn't seem to matter. If his benefits stop and bills can't be paid another pressure put on his fragile mental state and make his illness worse. He has medical back up, have written on his pip application form how his illbessess affect his everyday life. Feel like giving up having to prove he is ill, when he has all the medical evidence he is.
  • buzzer
    These answer's give me no reassurance really. We feel like he is being discrinated against.. We live in a rural community and his gp knows him very well and has seen him at some of his lowest point's of his illnesses. The fact that he could take his own life under the pressure he is being put under doesn't seem to matter. If his benefits stop and bills can't be paid another pressure put on his fragile mental state and make his illness worse. He has medical back up, have written on his pip application form how his illbessess affect his everyday life. Feel like giving up having to prove he is ill, when he has all the medical evidence he is.
    @carolesteve,
    I personally recommend you contacting MP most urgently once again. Follow up a phone call with email to make sure you have emphasised your son’s situation and include copy of your GP’s letter.

The equality act making reasonable adjustment comes into play here, and your MP's office should be familiar with this legislation.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/20

Your son's welfare is paramount and a paper based assessment can and should be be done.
    If the HCP finds inconsistencies on pip form then he /she should contact those named on the PIP2 form, that’s why those questions are asked, it should not be used by them as a reason to push claimants beyond their scope.
    Good luck 

• carolesteve
    Buzzer, very helpful thank you. 
    My mp is very hard to get hold of, but will try email again and telephone his office. If I quoted this act when I ring the dwp about becoming his appointee on Monday, would they take any notice do you think.
  • poppy123456
    There's no need to quote the equity act when requesting to become someones appointee.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • carolesteve
    I'm not quoting the act to become his appointee but to stop the home assessment without consequences to his claim because of his frail mental state. As stated before his gp has written two letters about his mental health but they have not taken any notice of them.
  • poppy123456
    It's the health assessment providers you need to ring and quote the act or put it in writing. DWP have nothing to do with the face to face assessments.
  • carolesteve
    I don't want him taking his own life. I don't think you understand the full extent of the problem. Its dwp who make the final decision on his illness. They should take responsibility for the welfare of my son. 
  • poppy123456
    I totally understand but the health assessment providers decide who needs face to face assessments or not, not DWP. By all means ring DWP but don't be surprised if you're not advised to ring the health assessment providers.

@ilovecats your advice is appreciated here please.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @carolesteve - if I can make a suggestion?

I'm pretty certain that DWP will tell you to ring the assessment provider - DWP don't deal with appointments etc..

Rather than take ages to get through to DWP, why not ring the assessment provider first? I've found them easier to get hold off personally and then, if they refer you to DWP, then you won't have wasted as much time...

• buzzer
    Buzzer, very helpful thank you. 
    My mp is very hard to get hold of, but will try email again and telephone his office. If I quoted this act when I ring the dwp about becoming his appointee on Monday, would they take any notice do you think.
    You would need to call the assessors directly ie CAPITA or IAS regarding the appointment and it’s to them along with the GP letter stating why he cannot attend you would mention the EQ act at that point. Also to your MP to get them on board. 
    Appointee stuff is organised by DWP visiting team and is a separate issue. 

• carolesteve
    I have called the ias and sent 2nd gp letter telling them it would be harmful to him to have any kind of assessment. The first one they ignored and the second one they needed more medical evidence. I sent enough with the pip application form. Was advised by ias to become an appointee as they would only need to deal with me and not my son and it is too stressful for him and can't cope with any kind of pressure due to his cognitive problems caused by his stroke. They have still insisted he have a f2f even though there would be a threat to his life. I am ringing dwp on Monday to become an appointee and ias still have him down for f2f home assessment in 3 weeks.  Ias can't tell me if can't make second home visit if this will have any consequences on his claim, they state only dwp  an answer that.
  • buzzer
    I have called the ias and sent 2nd gp letter telling them it would be harmful to him to have any kind of assessment. The first one they ignored and the second one they needed more medical evidence. I sent enough with the pip application form. Was advised by ias to become an appointee as they would only need to deal with me and not my son and it is too stressful for him and can't cope with any kind of pressure due to his cognitive problems caused by his stroke. They have still insisted he have a f2f even though there would be a threat to his life. I am ringing dwp on Monday to become an appointee and ias still have him down for f2f home assessment in 3 weeks.  Ias can't tell me if can't make second home visit if this will have any consequences on his claim, they state only dwp  an answer that.
    Hence getting your MP's office involved at the earliest opportunity.
    Take some time to take a breath and compose an email, you have the rest of today and all day tomorrow, to outlining chronological events so far. Times dates and whom you spoke with and which organisation ie IAS or DWP You can take quotes directly from GP letter specifically stating F2F would be detrimental to your son, (confirm to MP this information has been sent to DWP and IAS) and email your letter to MP for urgent attention on Monday.

• carolesteve
    Thank you, I will certainly do that. Fingers crossed they can helpthis awful situation. My son hasn't chosen to be ill and I try to take all this stress from him as much as I can. It seems if you are ill in this country and want help atm, the system seems to be flawed whichever way you turn.
  • carolesteve
    They have medical reports to back up his pip application, and referral letters to neuro psychological dept, report from his stroke physio who sees him at home and gp letters confirming his conditions, a report from me his main carer on how he lives and the effect it has on his day to day living, why should they want more, he goes through enough trying to get through everyday.  I am taking the advice of Buzzer and have emailed an urgent letter to his mp asking for his help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @carolsteve - I think you are right to try and involve your MP. Mine was very helpful & supportive ((although I think it's just pot-luck whether your MP has the knowledge that is required.)

Is it worth going back to your GP? Only you know the full facts obviously but it does sound like he/she should be doing a lot more to help your son than they seem to be.....

I really do hope things go OK for you....
  • carolesteve
    Thank you the Gp is doing all he can. Have just sent an urgent email to my mp hoping he will help us in this matter.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.