Therapist with NHS in highlands Scotland or other NHS services in Scotland — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Therapist with NHS in highlands Scotland or other NHS services in Scotland

freeflow
freeflow Community member Posts: 11 Connected

Hi

I am my wife's carer and she used to get systemic psychotherapy in Wales, before we moved to scotland and her therapist quit his job and now has been not getting any therapy for 2 years, she is on the Scottish highlands waiting list now for 18 months, but there are no therapists available on the NHS highlands apparently, she just has seen a CBT psychologist, but the CBT psychologist refused to see my wife with me present, which is one of my wife's overriding needs, as she does not trust people, this has caused big problems at that moment and made her quite ill. She is getting worse again, big pendulum and mood swings, her problems are anthropophobia anxiety panic attacks depression and borderline personality disorder, has anybody got any tips or knowledge about how I can get my wife an NHS therapist even if we got to travel to a different NHS district?

Comments

• johnjosef
    johnjosef Community member Posts: 11 Connected

Hi

I am my wife's carer and she used to get systemic psychotherapy in Wales, before we moved to scotland and her therapist quit his job and now has been not getting any therapy for 2 years, she is on the Scottish highlands waiting list now for 18 months, but there are no therapists available on the NHS highlands apparently, she just has seen a CBT psychologist, but the CBT psychologist refused to see my wife with me present, which is one of my wife's overriding needs, as she does not trust people, this has caused big problems at that moment and made her quite ill. She is getting worse again, big pendulum and mood swings, her problems are anthropophobia anxiety panic attacks depression and borderline personality disorder, has anybody got any tips or knowledge about how I can get my wife an NHS therapist even if we got to travel to a different NHS district?

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @johnjosef
    Another option that you/your wife could consider is online therapy.  There are pros and cons to doing therapy online but it might be worth considering/seeing if this is an option?
    Best wishes.
    Emma
  • johnjosef
    johnjosef Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    That would be fine, but it would have to be with the nhs, as we are on benefits and can not pay
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @johnjosef
    Does your wife get PIP?  If so, the idea is that this money can be use to fund things like therapy. 
    Or another option is Direct Payments?  
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/direct-payments?gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ym3Nlta8N65GU_Ivk-ys42YKqjlScJwKCuJKPXmU1V3iaZU3trzdLRoCFgAQAvD_BwE
    I hope that helps.
    Emma
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Hello @johnjosef   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry to hear about your wife and her mental health.

I am one of the team of community champions . We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

If you wife is having problems getting access to NHS treatment.  I do understand might be worth looking for mental health charities in your area.

No one should be made to wait for NHS services. Have a look on line around your area see what there is.

I used mental health charities.

Hope that helps.

Please if we as a community can help with anything please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @johnjosef

A very warm welcome.

Give this a try.

NHS Highland, Psychotherapy Services, New Craig’s Hospital, Inverness, tel 01463 704000.

Has your wife got a CPN or MH social worker, if no, try speaking to her GP.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.
  • armrget
    armrget Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited August 2020
    I am very sorry to hear that your needs are being met by placing you on long waiting list, the demands of for therapies are high, but you do have options  I am about to start as trainee psychotherapist, I do have 40 years of work  in trauma work. IF you are considering other options then their are many psychotherapist in the Highlands who work independently and are supervised - so if you wish to branch away from NHS then that option is available to also. I live and work privately in Highlands 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @armrget, how are you today? :) 
    Scope

Brightness