Joint esa claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint esa claim

leon87
leon87 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello me and my wife are going through a separation and the claim is in her name would I need to put a fresh claim in or can we split the claim into 2 separate claims

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As the ESA claim is in your wife's name then you won't be able to start a new claim for Income Related ESA because all areas are now a full universal credit area it will have to be this you claim.

You can't split the claim into 2 separate claims either.

Are you fit for work or not?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leon87
    leon87 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    No I am an ex soldier with complex combat post traumatic stress disorder my mental health hasedt me unable to work with 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're no longer living with your partner then you'll need fit/sick notes from your GP to be able to claim limited capability for work under universal credit.

I would also recommend you visit your local CAB who will help and advise you with the process.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @leon87 and welcome to the community. :)
    I'm sorry you're unable to split the ESA claim and that because you're not the main claimant you will be required to start a fresh benefit claim under Universal Credit.

Best of luck with this and if we can help at all, please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.