What questions should we ask a disabled person to know about the problems they face? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What questions should we ask a disabled person to know about the problems they face?

Options
Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
If someone wanted to know about my disability, rather than them just presuming something I'd rather they aske questions so I can answer them myself. 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    “Do you want to talk about the disability or not? 
  • Tammyjane33
    Options
    @April2018mom that's a good question to start with it allows them to answer yes or no if the person doesn't wish to answer you could share your own personal experience with them to make them feel comfortable this is just a random scenario) and only share things that you feel comfortable with. Thank you for your input. :) 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sometimes complete strangers will ask me in a brusque way, `Why are you in a wheelchair?` I dont mind talking about my condition, but it is rude to ask in that way.

I feel like answering back in the same tone, `Cos I`m lazy and dont want to walk!` But I never do.
  • Tammyjane33
    Options
    @pollyanna1052 I can totally relate to that. People can be so rude sometimes and there's no need for it. I hope your ok. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks \tammy, yes I`m ok hun. PIP claim form gone today. x
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, I prefer people to ask questions about my disability rather than to assume stuff and don't have a problem answering anything to do with it.  Like @pollyanna1052, I've had people just come out and ask me,"what have you done to yourself" and when I tell them I have Spina Bifida they will sometimes apologise and just get embarrassed or awkward.  I generally find that children are far better at asking and accepting facts about disability and just accept you for what you are, compared to some adults.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness