Tribunal advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal advice

Yippeemk
Yippeemk Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hey all, my first post and hoping someone can help give me some advice.... After a Pip assessment and Mandatory Consideration appeal rejection I've gone from having higher rate motability to none what so ever and it all comes down to the Intrepretation of Activity 12 and moving around and I don't quite understand it...

I walk with crutches and have done ever since an aneurysm bleed in my neck some 20 years ago as a teen. With regarding to the points awarded it's basically stating I need less help getting around as I can walk up to 200yrds using crutches than if I was able to walk unaided up to 50yards? I don't understand the logic as I can't walk 20 yards unaided without major major balance issues so surely me being on crutches I'd need more help getting around than if I wasn't on them. Do I try and rock up at my tribunal and stumble my way forward 20metres without my crutches trying not to fall over, would that help me get the points required to qualify for motability? 

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That's not correct. For activity 12 descriptor E it's " Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided".

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Activity 12 is about mobility. Descriptor E is for those who cannot safely move more than 20 metres alone or with assistance like my son. How far can you safely move? Read all of the descriptors carefully and then decide which one applies to you. 
  • Yippeemk
    Thanks for the replies, but I'm more concerned with Descriptor B and C, how can it be that you can safely walk unaided between 20 and 50 metres and that gets 8 points but walking everyday with crutches for further gets you 4 points? I'm pretty certain that 90% of people that can safely walk up to 50 metres unaided could go further with a stick or crutches. I just don't understand the logic in that, without crutches I might at a push be able to walk 20 metres but very slowly and unsteadily. In the last 3 years I've walked and fallen resulting in a knee cartilage repair op, leading to a hip replacement and from that a leg break, surely walking safely unaided even for a shorter distance should mean you need less help than someone who has to use aides?

In my head it's ridiculous I've gone from having lower rate personal care to higher rate personal care and from higher motability to no motability despite... Logically it should be the other way round! 
  • poppy123456
    Attending your Tribunal without your crutches if you use them everyday wouldn't be the right thing to do. You need to use them as you do everyday, if you don't then this isn't being yourself. You need to be yourself and paint a true picture.

Regarding walking....how far can you walk without pain and discomfort, regularly and reliably with your crutches?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yippeemk
    Thankyou you've given me food for thought everyone, Im a really optimistic and positive person so painting a true reflection of my abilities is always a come down to me. 

On a good day I use a walking stick for short walks, 30 metres have a stop etc, on a bad day I use crutches and can go do 100metres or so, it's really physically exerting, but the physios have encouraged me to do this more as I'm more unbalanced using a walking stick. According to the criteria the days I use a walking stick I'd be entitled to motability, but that's my good day. I just think the criteria is skewed, I've used wheelchairs, walking sticks, crutches and by the most physically exerting is crutches and yet that seems to be the most non catered for in understanding the exertions that it takes to use them. 
  • poppy123456
    Do be aware that the criteria for Enhanced mobitlity is nor more than 20 metre.
  • Yippeemk
    Thanks for the info, I fall between categories unfortunately and so a standard rate is the best I could hope for anyway 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.