Experience with physio? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Experience with physio?

25smithavenue
25smithavenue Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi just joined , l have cervical stenosis and spondylitis been in a lot of pain , this is my fourth session at a private physio and after each session l am in so much pain but kept going thinking it would ease the pain in the end , l was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same from physio. 
Thanks wendy

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @25smithavenue and a warm welcome to our community. Hopefully some of our members will be able to share their experiences with you. Have you spoken to the physio about your concerns?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    In my opinion physio is usually painful but worth it in the end. They push you to get your ailments improved and more movement through strengthening muscles and body. I have had physio after a shoulder op and physio was unbearably painful I cried every session. Also had physio after my leg amputation . I know your condition is different 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @25smithavenue

A very warm welcome.

I have similar problems in my neck and lumbar spine.

Having physio can trigger things. Have you spoke to the physio?

It is a matter of finding something that can ease the pain. I found a TENS machine and/or heat pads.

In the longer term I had nerve block injections, that did work, others find them of little use.

I had a very good NHS physio, who let me phone her if I needed any advice.

Another thing I feel important is to keep up the exercises that help to maintain a full range of movements in the neck.

You could see if you could get hydrotherapy via your GP.

The best advice I can give you, don’t suffer in silence and seek help from your GP.

Let us know if you need anymore details.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community

Have you talked to the PT? I love our current private PT. If I have any questions I can email her. My concerns get resolved quickly. 
    Maybe a short list of goals may help? At our first ever session I sat down with the therapist and we discussed goals for my boy.
    What about aqua therapy? As with land based physio you must keep doing the exercises each session. When the PT gives you homework you must do it often to see results.
    What is the therapist like? Is she friendly or not? If she dismisses your concerns, find another PT pronto. A good PT will see you as a member of the team and respect your opinion. How many PTs are there? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @25smithavenue and welcome to the community! I know physio can be painful to begin with as it's working muscles and joints that might usually not be used in that way. However, it should not be extremely painful.

Is this something you have discussed with them? They may be able to change the exercises they are doing if it is too much.

I hope it becomes less painful for you :)
    Scope

• jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    Hello there @25smithavenue

I had extensive physio after an injury and I must say I was in pain after the sessions. I had one session a week so I'd have an appointment, end up in pain, spend the week recovering and then go to another and start again. I asked why I was experiencing so much pain and the situation was explained to me. It help me cope a little better.

You shouldn't have to deal with unexplained pain so as others have suggested I second speaking to your therapist. I would also suggest discussing it with your GP as they may be able to provide advice and more importantly suggestions to help with the pain.

Take care
    J

Brightness