Help with PIP appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with PIP appeal

Options
Maureen1962
Maureen1962 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I took am in the process of appealing. I have multiple sclerosis, I got 10 points for mobility. They said because I wasn't sweating and showing symptoms of distress, I can follow a route!!!!!! I can only drive a very short distance by myself, I have ms related cognitive problems, but because, I am not under the mental health team, there is no problrm. I am so angry, they are absolutely clueless

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Maureen1962 and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear the assessment didn't go to plan. I understand how stressful this can be. Have you been sent a copy of your report?

You have a month to write a letter to request a mandatory reconsideration which uses 2-3 real life of examples about why the decision is incorrect.

Here is more information about the Mandatory Reconsideration process

If you need anything else then please do let us know! :)
    Scope

• Jono
    Jono Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    Hi Maureen, Don't fear the appeal. I appealed A PIP refusal and worried myself ill for a year. Then the appeal hearing was adjourned and I had to endure another 6 months of worry. Just produce enough evidence to prove you aren't trying to fool anyone and you'll be ok. It seems the awkward or ignorant people are the assessors you first meet. I have read they have targets to meet regardless of the health of who they see, and a lot of people give in and do not go through the appeal process. Good luck and don't give in.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for this @Jono :)
    Scope

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I took am in the process of appealing. I have multiple sclerosis, I got 10 points for mobility. They said because I wasn't sweating and showing symptoms of distress, I can follow a route!!!!!! I can only drive a very short distance by myself, I have ms related cognitive problems, but because, I am not under the mental health team, there is no problrm. I am so angry, they are absolutely clueless
    Which part did you get the 10 points for?  Was it the physical 'moving around' part?  Unfortunately, being able to drive yourself anywhere makes it very difficult to get points for the journey planning part.

Sweating and trembling are part of the MSE (mental state examination) which is just a very basic test for distress, I don't think some of the assessors have any idea about it other than what they've read in the brief assessment training.  I was also deemed not to be showing signs of distress, despite shaking, ticking and being so sweaty I had to keep drying my hands on my trouser leg! :(
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Cognitive issues and driving don't go together when claiming PIP and this can very often go against you. I'd advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    Options

I'm sorry, dealing with these situations is awful. You're right they don't often understand.  As others have suggested I would consider contacting an advice agency to help you deal with this.

Take care
    J

• Maureen1962
    Options
    Thanks for all replying
    I got 10 points for the mobility moving about bit. It said in the notes it was an unfamiliar journey.
     But my friend also has ms and is extremely, anxious she can't drive about anymore and her husband drives her wherever she wants to go, but, she also only got 10!!
  • Maureen1962
    Options
    No because I've lost my car, things with me will never get better hopefully will stay the same, the DWP are clueless, and basically don't listen or care
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel like you haven't been listened to. If you need any further advise about the appeal then please do let us know!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.