NHS chairs, but not suitable for me... Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NHS chairs, but not suitable for me... Any advice?

gems
gems Community member Posts: 12 Connected
Hi, so I'm needing a chair, manual. I was given a very basic one by OT but i had them out to adjust it, and what I needed done couldn't be done on that chair, so I have been referred back to OT to be reassessed.

My issue is that I cannot afford to put anything towards the chair. So I'm now panicking that I'll have to stick with the one I have which is causing pain to me. I'm in need of a chair that has as close to 90° footrest angle as possible. All the NHS ones have the swing away feet, and they are all too steep of an angle for me, I'm in agony unless my feet are under me!!

Has anyone got anything similar through the NHS 100% ? Or am I going to have to find a couple of grand for a chair, as all the ones I can see are around the £2k mark!!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gems and a very warm welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear that the NHS chair hasn't been suitable. When you saw the OT was it part of a wheelchair assessment? They should look at all of your needs and find something that is suitable and not causing you pain.

Also, how often do you use a wheelchair? As this can determine which one you are given.

I hope this help :)
    Scope

• gems
    Hi @gems and a very warm welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear that the NHS chair hasn't been suitable. When you saw the OT was it part of a wheelchair assessment? They should look at all of your needs and find something that is suitable and not causing you pain.

Also, how often do you use a wheelchair? As this can determine which one you are given.

I hope this help :)
    Hi, thank you for the welcome and reply. When I was assessed I didn't know that the position the chair pit me in would cause pain. I'm being reassessed in my chair so that they can find out exactly what I need. 

I use the chair a fair bit, not around the house, but whenever we go anywhere that will involve walking for any kind of distance. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @gems

A very warm welcome.

You need to stick to your guns, you are entitled to a wheelchair that meets your specific needs.

The OT should understand your needs and provide you with an appropriate wheelchair.

It would appear that your current one, is causing pain and might deter you from using it.

You should explain all of this to the OT.

Are you on enhanced mobility of PIP, by chance?

Keep us informed
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @gems, I really hope you are not waiting much longer to be reassessed! Please do keep us updated :)
    Scope

• gems
    @atlas46 I will stick to them, thank you! I'm just nervous that they won't give me a suitable chair. But that may just be my anxieties! PIP have refused me for any kind of claim, gave me 0 points in everything (assessor lied on forms). I am currently trying to get a reconsideration.
  • gems
    @Chloe_Scope thank you! Worst thing is I'm off to Legoland on Saturday so I'm going to be in the chair all day! ? But I will be in less pain than if I'd have gone with no chair!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Oh I hope you have a good time @gems! I wonder if you'd be able to hire one there? Whether they may be a bit better? Although I know they'll be standard ones too! 
    Scope

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @gems

Good that you are sticking to your guns!

I would make sure you have someone with you, when the OT does a further assessment.

It is penny numbers, in terms of the NHS budget, for wheelchair services, so it should be the best fit for you, particularly as it is mainly for outdoor use.

A fine example is your forthcoming trip to Legoland, you should be able to enjoy such a
    trip, without the worry of pain, caused by an inappropriate wheelchair.

Glad that you are pursing your PIP claim, fight all the way, it will be of great value to your future health and well-being.

Hope this helps.
  • gems
    @Chloe_Scope they do have them to hire, but only a small amount and I'd rather take my chair and know I've got one than get there and there's none left! I'm sure I'll have a fab day, we've been looking forward to it for about 4 months!!
  • gems
    @atlas46 thank you. I will have my partner with me when they do it! My memory is affected by one of my conditions, so I always take her with me. Thank you, you've helped my worries a lot!
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    have you looked into charities to help you fund a bespoke chair? wheelchair services will offer a personal voucher, which varies from area to area. 

I agree that your NHS chair should be fit for purpose they only have a finite number of options available to them and a bespoke chair will always be better for you 

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    NHS wheelchairs must be fit for purpose. Research alternative funding sources. When did you meet with the OT? Was a proper assessment done or not? 
  • gems
    Garza said:
    have you looked into charities to help you fund a bespoke chair? wheelchair services will offer a personal voucher, which varies from area to area. 

I agree that your NHS chair should be fit for purpose they only have a finite number of options available to them and a bespoke chair will always be better for you 

I haven't. I'm not really sure where to look, Google has confused me, as I struggle with information sometimes!
  • gems
    NHS wheelchairs must be fit for purpose. Research alternative funding sources. When did you meet with the OT? Was a proper assessment done or not? 
    I met about six weeks ago, I'm not sure if it was proper as I've never had an assessment before. 
  • April2018mom
    Did you have a report detailing her recommendations and tips? Ask for a copy if not. 
  • gems
    @April2018mom no I didn't! I shall call tomorrow and ask for a copy! Thanks. 
  • April2018mom
    Make sure to read the report carefully. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    @gems that's understandable! I really hope you have a great time and you'll have to let us know how it goes!
    Scope

Brightness