After ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

After ESA

tweetypie1720
tweetypie1720 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi ? 
I’ve been on ESA for almost a year, I’ve had a letter saying I won’t get it beyond 365 days. I can’t work due to numerous different health conditions, I receive PIPS and have reapplies as I have now got a few mobility issues, and I have a blue badge. 
They haven’t advised me is there any other benefits I can replace the loss of esa with? 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @tweetypie1720
    You could use a benefits calculator to check what you could be entitled to.
    ‘New style’ and contribution-based ESA last for 365 days if you’re in the work-related activity group.
    There’s no time limit if you’re in the support group, or if you’re getting income-based ESA.

You may be able to re-apply at least 12 weeks after your ‘new style’ or contribution-based ESA ends. You may qualify again depending on:
    • what National Insurance contributions you paid in the last 2 full tax years before the tax year you’re claiming in
    • whether your health deteriorates and you’re placed in the support group
    This information comes from the gov website.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • tweetypie1720
    tweetypie1720 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Sam. My head is all over the place atm. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,906 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Which benefit are you claiming New style ESA or the old contributions based ESA?

If it's new style then it's only paid for 365 days unless you're placed into the support group.

If it's the old contributions based ESA then they should assess you for income related, whether you're successful or not will depend on your circumstances. Living with a partner that works, savings/capital and other income such as pensions will count as income when calculating means tested benefits.

I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.