PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment

Norbs66
Norbs66 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
Hi Everyone I hope you are all well.
I had my pip assessment yesterday. I felt at my worse was in so much pain which the assessor said she could see and would be as quick as she could. I had a panic attack after the first two questions and once I had calmed down she continued. I have to use 2 crutches to get around at home and when going out. I only go out if totally necessary as it is such a struggle. The assessor asked me could I have got there by myself I replied I dont even know where I am my son drove so no I wouldnt be able to get here as I really dont know where this place is in relation to my home. They ask the same questions a.couple of times but re-worded I already stated my son is my carer and he does the shopping later on she asked so how do you cope with doing the shopping. I said well Im on crutches so I cant push a.trolley or carry bags so I cant shop my son does it all. I broke down a couple of times as its so upsetting discussing everything which drives.it home how limited my capabilities are and how little I can do. I have just had a text to say they have received my report and they will make a decision and I should hear from them within 6 weeks. I thought that was very quick to hear they already had the report as I was only assessed yesterday. I just hope she typed the truth. I had someone with me who can verify everything anyway. Its.all so stressful 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Norbs66, I'm sorry the assessment was such an upsetting experience for you. It can be difficult when talking about these things, I just hope the assessor was respectful of this!

If you wanted to, it is possible to request a copy of your report. This will allow you to see what recommendations have been made. You are not guaranteed to get the award they say, but it's rare they go against it.

I hope you get the decision you deserve!
    Scope

• Norbs66
    Norbs66 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Chloe_scope
    Thank you for your kind words. The assessor was ok but im not sure she grasped fully how much I am affected by all my probs. I have taken your advice and called them to request a copy of the report, the lady on the phone was very nice and said it will be sent today and I should have it in a few days and it will likely take 6 weeks for them to decide. She pointed out that they will take note of the recommendations as you said but its them that actually decide the outcome. Thank you again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.