Remote Nutrition Advice? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remote Nutrition Advice?

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
Morning all,

It seems this part of the forum is very quiet!

I think I'm searching for something that doesn't exist but if it does I'm sure a Scope member will know lol...  I'm looking for someone that could offer me some advice remotely (preferably via email but post would also work) on diet and nutrition.  What I mean by this is someone that could look at a food diary and offer advice on which vitamins etc that I might be missing out on because of my very limited diet due to various illnesses and then suggest some alternative foods to boost the lacking areas.  

I'm not able to have tests at a Doctors to check for deficiencies due to the same illnesses and I wouldn't be able to do face to face advice so this is the best I could hope for at the moment.  I assume this isn't a service offered by the NHS (I did write to my Dr to ask but received no reply) but if I do eventually get awarded PIP this is the sort of the thing it could pay for.

Thanks
OA

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @OverlyAnxious. I'm sorry your Dr didn't reply to you. They do have dieticians and while I've not known them to do home visits I can't see why they couldn't post some information to you. It may be worth you giving your local surgery a call and asking?
    Unfortunately none of us here are experts in nutrition, but there are nutritionists you can find on the web who do video calls, and some that will put together healthy eating plans remotely. 

There's a lot of general information online that you could research as well and maybe look at following a healthy eating meal plan?

@thespiceman may also have some tips!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Welcome

Find a nutritionist. Discuss the problem with them. They can help you come up with a plan of action for the future. You can also find more information online too. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Pleased to meet you .

You want advice on diet nutrition and what you should be eating. Have you got the right balance the correct food for your own health needs.

The situation I would advise I am not a qualified Nutritionist but do have qualifications in Understanding Health Part 2 and some food science qualifications.

This all related to the wellbeing of health and diet and nutrition.

I have done a lot of research of my own needs .

I also have an interest in the mental health and wellbeing.

As I have mental health issues.

I do think what is important is have a balanced diet consisting of fruit and vegetables. Can be fresh or frozen.  You can use tinned.

Use Vegetables such as Peppers, Zucchini Aubergines, Potatoes, Leafy greens like Spinach or Kale.  Leeks, Onions, Carrots, Celery.

Fruit Apples, Pears, Citrus Oranges, Satsumas, Mandarins, easy peelers.  Grapes .  Peaches and Nectarines, Apricots.

Look at Nuts Walnuts, Almonds combine with Dairy products . Such as Fromage Frais or Natural Greek Yoghurt or look at Soya based ones I eat those nothing wrong.

Sweeten with honey.  Add in fruit .

Eat lean meat like Chicken, Turkey.  Cut fat off meat look at options like Pork .  Limit red meat.

Have a look at buying Fish like Salmon, Trout or Sardines or Pilchards, Mackerel. Buy tins or frozen or fresh.

Need Omega three and six good for skin bones and maintain wellbeing.  

Eat with every meal whole grains and beans and pulses.  Whole grains means whole wheat Pasta or Rice. Whole grain Bread.

If you consider looking at spices and herbs. Can enhance the flavour of food helps with digestion.

For anxiety Basil and Parsley.  Buy fresh diced up and store in fridge freezer ice cube trays.  Also Rosemary have it growing in garden or use dried.

Sage fresh or use dried helps to cut down sweating.

Look at Fennel seeds, Cumin, Turmeric. Ground  Coriander and Cinnamon .  Good for the anxiety stomach.  Good to add Cinnamon to Yoghurt as well  Fennel Seeds.

Ginger in all forms . Either powder ground or shredded or Whole take of skin grate in to recipes. Lasts a long time keeps in the freezer grate when needed.

Chilli's all forms useful has antibacterial properties and also useful cooling down the body and aids reduction in blood pressure.

Also dried fruit be cautious such as Prunes or Figs or Sultanas do the same contain a lot of sugar be warned. Good for stomachs and bowels .

Take with yoghurt or cereal topper in the morning.

Honey added to yoghurt calming helps the stomach and relaxes the digestion.

The need to remove the following if you suffer from anxiety. All caffeine in Chocolate, coffee and tea and cola.

Effects mental health anxiety cause the problems .  Also stop alcohol the sudden need in anxious moments to reach for a drink more you drink the more you get anxious.

Have been their now twelve years clean was an alcoholic a long time.

This diet I am one called the Med diet based on the Countries of Southern Spain, Italy, Greece and Northern Africa and other areas.

Lots of science behind this one and often is very useful in those wishing to look at losing weight.

I do understand if you finding it difficult to get out or having problems.

Please may I advise contact your wellbeing health unit. This is a Community Unit based on Health and wellbeing.

Will come out to see you. Work with you all free and evaluate what you need health, diet wise.

Look at nutrition as anything else may be useful.

Used them my local one when I came off addiction have and got advice, guidance plus my qualifications.

Look under Council services.

I hope I have helped always advisable to speak to some one like I have suggested.

I have just given you some suggestions of what you should be eating.

One final point had at one time not much money so lived on this diet using frozen or tinned products.

Bought fresh meat.  Chicken and Turkey.

Please if you wish to ask me anything please get in touch.  Be happy to be supportive anytime.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious
    Hi @OverlyAnxious. I'm sorry your Dr didn't reply to you. They do have dieticians and while I've not known them to do home visits I can't see why they couldn't post some information to you. It may be worth you giving your local surgery a call and asking?
    Unfortunately none of us here are experts in nutrition, but there are nutritionists you can find on the web who do video calls, and some that will put together healthy eating plans remotely. 

There's a lot of general information online that you could research as well and maybe look at following a healthy eating meal plan?

@thespiceman may also have some tips!
    Hi Adrian,

I can't use phones unfortunately, and definitely not video calls.  I also can't have home visits due to severe contamination OCD.  Email and letter are really my only options, so this is why I've having so much difficulty in finding something suitable.
  • OverlyAnxious
    @thespiceman Thank you very much for that detailed reply! :) 

I do try to follow a fairly 'healthy' diet as you have described, lots of wholegrains, some protein, little sugar and fat and only ever drink water (no alcohol, caffeine or sugary drinks).  

However I'm very restricted for fruit and veg due to IBS, an awful lot of them are triggers for me, but I know that's where a lot of the vitamins are.  I'm currently trying to eat low FODMAP ones to see if that helps but so far no change...it also doesn't help that I get bad reflux from anything acidic which is most of the low FODMAP fruit lol!  As well as that, I also suffer from severe contamination OCD which makes preparing meat & veg impossible, so I have to rely on ready-prepped foods which again I know isn't ideal.  I'm also very fearful of illnesses, both short term and long term, so try to avoid sugar and fat and limit portion sizes to the bare minimum which may or may not be enough.  And I am currently on an extremely tight budget (around £10 a week for food).

Annoyingly I've also recently found that just attempting to try a new food triggers my IBS so I can't necessarily tell if the symptoms are caused by the food itself or the anxiety of trying something.

I am at the point where I need some specific, tailored advice about exactly what I'm eating each week but don't know where to find that. :/
  • thespiceman
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Thank you for sharing.

Thank you also for saying about what you exactly need . I am sure I can help.

I would suggest speak to first to your local Council wellbeing unit. Look under Community Health.

These are members of a team specifically designated to look at those members of our community. Who have problems with diet, nutrition and healthy eating.

Understand they will come to you.  Unfortunately you state have OCD.

Which I am sorry about.  I know it can be a daily struggle and anything there I can help with be happy to be supportive.

They are used to dealing with members of our community no matter what the mental health.

I would still contact them as I would seek their advice.  Look under council services.

You mention your tight budget. Please can I ask do you need help with anything additional like benefits.?

You mention IBS .  Sometimes could be food intolerance such as the sugar in any dairy.  As in lactose intolerance. Sugar and enzyme in the milk . 

I know my own knowledge yes there are certain triggers like Peas, Lentils, Beans.

From memory I know certain foods are causing problems other ones. High Fibre Cereals.  

I know one thing if you do eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. It is recommended with those with IBS.

Also water and live Yoghurt.  To my own personal knowledge.  

One aspect of IBS may add is related to anxiety or stress. If you get thinking this is my own view as I have had issues myself here.

If you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables get the IBS signs bloated stomach, diarrhoea and then sharp pains but also constipation that is could be not because of IBS.

That could be because eating too much fruit or vegetables. I have experienced both and know it is not IBS just too much fruit and vegetables just saying.

Depends what sort of fruits you are eating or vegetables.  Certain ones do cause a laxative effect immediately.

Apples and Pears are ones that have no known food intolerances.  Also Peaches.

Vegetables Carrots.

I have anxiety like you like my fruit like my veggies and have some days stomach, bowel issues but know to recognise that is may be other things.

Doctors unless you have a diagnosis just want to add that . Confirmation not other things related.  

I do understand might be anything else Always just double check anything your concerned about.

Mental health and the coloration between the gut and the body called Probiotics the health of your gut is an important one.

If you consider thinking this food will harm then it will.    The brain thinks like that the imbalance of the adrenaline gland for example . Controls our hunger our energy.

Reason why some people are always hungry never put on weight others that are do.

Coloration between energy and the wellbeing.

I would also advise speak to your GP or if you can not then try to .  Look at alternatives use an advocate to represent you.

I am only here as a member of this community trying to be supportive.

There is the other alternative speaking to the GP and seeking help and advice with your OCD.

You have to make that choice I know myself when I had addiction alcoholic for thirty years needed to revaluate my life looking at mental health support.

You could look on line   The Food Doctor called Doctor Ian Marber he is known as the guru . For those with food intolerances or diet issues..

Have a look at his website lots of useful stuff.

One point I wish to add you are a valued member of our community.

I am not a professional expert have knowledge lots of expertise.

Know one vital thing if you need some help some guidance to cope or deal with mental health then I would look at seeking that help.

There are answers and solutions.

I am a proud gent but have to ask and get the necessary guidance and help.

I need to deal with what I have.

I am as always concerned have care.

Please keep in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • OverlyAnxious

I would suggest speak to first to your local Council wellbeing unit. Look under Community Health.

You mention your tight budget. Please can I ask do you need help with anything additional like benefits.?

You mention IBS .  Sometimes could be food intolerance such as the sugar in any dairy.  As in lactose intolerance. Sugar and enzyme in the milk . 

One aspect of IBS may add is related to anxiety or stress. If you get thinking this is my own view as I have had issues myself here.

Thanks again @thespiceman

I will look into the council wellbeing unit today.

I have received some very helpful advice around PIP benefits in another section of the forum.  I'm currently in the Mandatory Reconsideration stage although it looks unlikely that I will be awarded any PIP at all unfortunately.  I am currently in receipt of ESA and housing benefit but I am stuck with the 'shared rate' LHA due to my age which doesn't take health into consideration.  I have to live alone due to the severe contamination fears (as well as other issues) but this means that most of my ESA has to go on rent, leaving me very little for bills, let alone food.  This of course causes me a lot of extra stress on top of the other problems I have which isn't helping the digestive problems as you say, I am hoping that some of the stress would be reduced if I do eventually receive PIP otherwise I will be in major financial trouble by the winter.

Today I have received a dietician appointment at the hospital.  I can only assume this is from the Dr that I wrote to a few months ago but clearly they do not understand my problems at all.  I cannot make a hospital visit due to the very high risk of contamination there!!
  • thespiceman
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Thank you for post one thing I got to mention.

This is good to hear much appreciated. I know there will be answers out there for you.

I forgot to add this is a opportunity to if you do contact wellbeing unit many are trained in looking at benefits may advise you .

As will any mental health charity.

Used this one last time. I did not wan to give you information over load have and sometimes do.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.  

This is something you could look at small steps remember I do take in consideration your mental health conditions.

I used them to help, guide myself over my own issues.  Got floating support or out reach worker. Can help with wellbeing, health maybe even and I do they do this look at your benefits.

Might not be in all areas.

You mentioned £10 a week to live on . Does remind me of my own history.

I do understand and have been their myself with not much money coming in.  Had one time a private landlord demanding even so paid over top rent and ended up with £30 a week to live on.

Even taking benefits into account.  Those days Income support and not even qualified for Incapacity benefits as I knew should have.

I do understand that so used CAB and got a rent review through them.

Might be worth looking at. The Rent review board I believe there are called.  

All rents have to be taken into account of the property you live in.   What it has it is got fully furnished got central heating, the usual and certain specifications.

There are laws and regulations around this I know because a gentleman came to the private landlords and me .

Explained can not have that amount of rent for the property you want.  Only a two bedroomed house.  Then he wanted £540 a month even with DSS then get the money repaid.

Agreed to £340 a month.  That was a long time ago.  Did get sorted with then DSS and others issues. 

I think you would need to get some one to advise you here.

Either CAB or speak to a welfare people.  If you contacted the Mental health charity got assessed.

They do that.  Then this gives you access to a lot of support, guidance and advice.

Something to think about.

Hope that might help you.  I just feel for you living on that money.

I was the first time living on my own.  Eating the Italian cookbook  Cucina Provera food of the poor and had the knowledge to get by.

Lots of vegetables and soups and Pasta.

Please can ask just an idea if you wish to contact me ask if I can specifically what your eating can tailor something for you recipes happy to do so.

Can if you wish you could just PM .  Private message if that helps you. Have done this for other members.

Might be worth it.  

Not a lot of cooking and little time .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • AdvancedNutrition
    AdvancedNutrition Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, I'm not sure if you're still looking for someone, but if you are, I can definitely help you. I'm an online nutritionist and a health coach. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Hi, I'm not sure if you're still looking for someone, but if you are, I can definitely help you. I'm an online nutritionist and a health coach. 
    Thanks, but I have now found a dietician willing to help online.

Brightness