Getting a mortgage — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting a mortgage

morgana
morgana Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, I am a newbie on this forum and would like some information if possible.
A very good friend of mine, along with her husband and children live in private rented accommodation.
The owner needs to sell due to the breakdown of his marriage.
They are heartbroken, they love their home, and are so settled there.

The wife is disabled as are 2 of their 3 children.
My question is about the possibility of them buying the house.

I have looked on the internet and found that certain benefits can be taken into consideration for mortgage purposes. 

Has anyone been down this path or know of anyone who has?
The house is worth about 90k (according to my bit of research) and the repayment would be less than the rent for which they get HB.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,325 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Some benefits like PIP/DLA are taken into consideration when applying for a mortgage but they may find it extremely difficult to get one if non of them work.

They also won’t be able to claim for housing benefits to help to pay a mortgage. They would possibly be able to apply for support to help pay the interest on the mortgage and this is called (SMI) but it doesn’t usually pay all the mortgage unfortunately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited July 2019
    Hi @morgana,
    Really sorry to hear about your friends and their home. You might find Scope's information on getting a mortgage while on disability benefits useful.
    Please let us know how they get on.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • morgana
    morgana Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Poppy and Adrian,

I am sure if it is doable they will find away.
    I have spoken to my friend, and I told them about the fact that they would not get help to cover all their mortgage payments.

Of course, every penny counts, but they are looking at the fact that they could be passed onto a landlord who has no empathy with them, if you know what I mean.

That is their main concern, they need stability and to feel secure, that they are in charge of their own destiny.

Once again thanks.

I will let you know the final outcome, as there maybe other posters who might consider the same route.

Brightness