paranoia schizophrenia and PIP - what does this mean? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

paranoia schizophrenia and PIP - what does this mean?

Options
Ilovemywifesomuch01
Ilovemywifesomuch01 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my wife has paranoia schizophrenia she took an olanzipine overdose in may last year and gets highly paranoid and distressed if she doesnt get enough sleep or is under stress she was awarded pip last year at the time she was so ill it had just been Christmas her eldest child doesn't live with her because of her illness and she was so overwhelmed to see him she started to to get ill we had every health care involved and still pip wanted her to have a face to face assessment this was January last year she went and the assessor agreed she wasn't fit for assessment. We now have a review as its been a year again my wife just hasn't got the capacity to handle stress so is starting to slip again I informed DWP that my wife is not fit for assessment again they said we do it to everyone! I received a text from pip saying we have received the written report of your pip assessment . we will write to you once we've made a decision on your pip. As a guide you will hear from us in 3 weeks. What does this mean I really hope I don't have to take her to a face to face she really can't cope with much. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The text means they've received the report which is paper based, if she hasn't been for an assessment. It's rare to have a paper based assessment but it can happen. Certainly seems like your wife has been one of them. She'll still need to wait for the decision to be made but you can ring to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent you, if you live in the UK. This will give her some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ilovemywifesomuch01
    Options
    Hello poppy thank you I will phone them today this system is so harsh on the disabled its absolutely awful what they are doing when my wife got better she was in tears and felt humiliated about the the last assessment and I know she's not alone its just really bad.
  • timmyy22
    timmyy22 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    I applied for pip first time on 16th January 19. 

Received a letter from independent assessment services on 12th February 19 saying 'we are independent assessment services. We conduct personal independence payment assessments for dwp. Our job is to help dwp understand how your health condition or disability affects your daily life.

One of our health professionals has looked at the information you sent to dwp. We're writing to let you know that we've asked for further information from people involved in your treatment or care.

We've done this to make sure the assessment report we send to dwp about your case is fair and accurate.

Once we've got the further information we've asked for, our health professional may be able to finish your assessment report for dwp without having to see you in person.'

Then got a text on 18th February 19 from dwp saying 'We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 6 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you.'

Called independent assessment services on same day as text and they say no f2f needed.

I only sent them a doctor's report with my pip form so wondering why no f2f.

I suffer from depression ,anxiety and chronic dsh.

Any info would be welcome thanks
  • Ilovemywifesomuch01
    Options
    Hello Timmy22 I phoned them on my wife's behalf today if it is a review they use the evidence that was used to assess you for your first award. If you can mate get someone to call on your behalf my wife also doesn't have to have a face to face assessment so you don't either, too right people with the illness that you have have a hard enough time. Any more questions do reply.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's rare not to have a face to face assessment but it does happen. I've heard today that my daughter also doesn't need a face to face assessment and a paper based assessment has been completed and the report is back with the DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    It's rare not to have a face to face assessment but it does happen. I've heard today that my daughter also doesn't need a face to face assessment and a paper based assessment has been completed and the report is back with the DWP.
    It's good to here that they are doing a few things right!
    Thank you @ilovecats i really did go into a lot of detail about her conditions. I added 2-3 examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applied. That, a long with the evidence from the community mental health team and the learning disability team, care plans etc was enough for the paper based assessment.

I've requested a copy of the report to be sent to me today, so we'll see what that recommends. I'm hopeful that her award will remain the same...Enhanced for both parts but i'm hoping it will be longer than a year before her next review.
  • timmyy22
    timmyy22 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    @Ilovemywifesomuch01 @poppy123456

Thanks for replying. Hope its good news but surprised no f2f and only one doctor report. 
  • Ilovemywifesomuch01
    Options
    Request a copy of what they have based your assessment on you are well with in your rights to do so, also you can appeal in which your payments will continue whilst you are appealing if it comes to that you request your gp refferes you to mental health services you will get a lot more support and you need to get as much information as possible anything older than 2 years is classed as historical. Good luck.
  • annie321
    annie321 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My son is going through this right now - they want him to go to a f2f but he dont go out of the house ! he been on DLA for years and now cos they feel like changing the paperwork an callin it PIP he got to be reassessed !!?? What do they know - his condition is not changed (paranoid schizophrenia) all this is jus makin him freak out andget real agitated - I jus sent a letter to my local MP askin for help for him to have a home visit - they making my boy ill again -so angry !! Soz for the rant folks but so frustratin.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @annie321 and welcome to the community. 
    Unfortunately everyone migrating from DLA to PIP is being reassessed and they are slightly different benefits. DLA focused more on the diagnosis but PIP is about how your life is affected by your conditions, it's important to keep that in mind when filling in the forms and having the f2f. 
    Would your son's doctor write a supporting letter detailing why he requires a home visit rather than being seen at an assessment centre? This can sometimes be enough for them to agree to a home visit. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • annie321
    annie321 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Adrian - my son has been to the doctors and asked - his doctor said they don't do that anymore and the fact that he takes antipsychotics should be enough ! Its getting ridiculous fair play ! 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can you write a letter yourself? Explain how your life is affected by your conditions. Insist on a home visit if possible. You can use the descriptors to help you https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
    When I was writing a appeal letter this tool was certainly handy. https://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool 

• poppy123456
    Options
    annie321 said:
    - my son has been to the doctors and asked - his doctor said they don't do that anymore and the fact that he takes antipsychotics should be enough ! Its getting ridiculous fair play ! 
    You previously said that your son doesn't go out? Did he attend in person at his GP's? If he did then this can go against him when requesting a home assessment because they can say that if he can attend other appointments then he can attend the assessment centre.

He will need a letter from his GP stating the reasons why he can't attend the assessment centre. If his currect GP is refusing try another GP at the same surgery.
  • Ilovemywifesomuch01
    Options
    Hello annie321 this is a tricky one as your son sounds like he responds well to medication my wife has been on 5 different ones and amisulpride is still not working well for her. She had a paper based assessment as she was that ill she didn't have the capacity to attend a f2f. For a paper based assessment they needed further information from all health care professionals that are involved with her care this was her cpn, the crisis team, gp, psychiatrist and me. Any information you have that is 2 years old is classed as historical and will not be used as evidence. The way they assess is how your disability affects you my wife can't do anything and they have evidence to back that. Your son responds well to medication and his gp has supported this do be prepared for a letter saying you haven't been awarded pip.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.