Magazine article on accessible cycling and assistance dogs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Magazine article on accessible cycling and assistance dogs

EmmaB
EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
Please check out my features on accessible cycling and another on assistance dogs in the current edition of Motability's 'lifestyle' magazine, pages 35 and 41 respectively:

https://live.editiondigital.com/e/197skdfhs/lifestyle-104#!page1

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That stat about disabled people's commutes in Cambridge is really interesting. I wonder if our members local to Cambridgeshire can speak to the city's accessibility.
    Thanks for sharing these @EmmaB. Have you been writing for the magazine long?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • EmmaB
    Thanks for having a look @Adrian_Scope, yes Cambridge are clearly doing something right! 

I've been writing for Lifestyle for about 14 years now... under my writing name of Emma Bowler, which differs to my now real life name of Emma West!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    A friend of mine has just set up a charity called CYCALLfor ALL. It is in the South of England and they have activity days and cycles of a wide variety.
  • EmmaB
    Cycling certainly seems to be a great sport/activity @pollyanna1052 as there are just so many different cycles out there, so it's great to hear about anyone encouraging people to give it a go!

• DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Hi @EmmaB
    I have just received my copy of “lifestyle “ today and went straight to your article .
    On your bike indeed !!
    It was exceedingly well written and very informative and I feel sure that there will be a great deal of interest in your article .I for one had no idea that there were so many ways with bikes for disabled people ..
    As for lending a paw on page 41 and being a dog lover myself I found the article fascinating and full of information.
    A huge boost for disabled people 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @EmmaB

I read your feature, very good indeed.

Funny thing about the latest Lifestyle, it had some great news for Motability, which I was not sure if I could report on here.

The good condition payment when you return your car, has gone up to £600 on three year lease and £900 after 5 year lease.

You can have tyres replaced/repaired at home by Kwik Fit, this is a new service.

You can get a light weight manual wheelchair, which can be kept in you car, for a modest fee £100 (one off payment).

Dealerships deal with the request.

There was a good feature about remote control devices that can be linked to your car.

Hope this helps.
  • EmmaB
    Thank you @DavidJ for your lovely comments!  I too am a dog lover, with 2 border terriers - I can't say they are much help physically ? but they get me out every day in the countryside where I live!

@atlas46 I thought the wheelchair thing was interesting too and worth mentioning as I'm sure a lot of people won't be aware of it;  I know Motability are always looking to improve and expand what they offer. I'm hoping they'll start introducing electric cars at some point...
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @EmmaB

I just noticed on this thread you have been doing features for lifestyle for 14years, in which time I have an avid reader of yours!

Look at page 5, it’s an advert for the new BMW i3, new electric car, now available on the scheme.

For additional information, there is one other e-car on the scheme at present.

Your wish has come true about e-cars are now available for scheme members to consider and will take a look at the BMW, in due course.
  • EmmaB
    Hi @atlas46
    I like the look of tha BMW I'm not sure I'd get my husband, 2 children, 2 small mobility scooters and 2 small dogs in it though ? always a bit of an issue when considering a car! I'm off to the One Big Day tomorrow in Exeter it will be interesting if they have the BMW there to see.
    I've always enjoyed writing for Lifestyle and elsewhere previously and will hopefully keep going with it for a good deal longer ?.
    All the best.
    Emma
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I received my copy today. Congratulations! How do I submit a article to the magazine?
  • EmmaB
    Hi @April2018mom
    You'd need to pitch your idea to the magazine - there is an e mail under editorial contacts towards the front of the magazine.
    Lifestyle like positive, 'can do' articles!
    All the best.
    Emma
  • April2018mom
    Thanks! I have no idea what to talk about. Can you recommend topics please? 
  • EmmaB
    @April2018mom - perhaps have a look through past magazines to get a feel for the sort of articles they like:

http://www.motabilitylifestyle.co.uk/

Maybe think about things that you feel you have expertise on or that might inspire others?

I hope that helps!

Emma 
  • April2018mom

Brightness